Part 23

Sadderdaze- The neighborhood

<<< satudays are not the same as they used to be. sadder days, why do they keep on using me>>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next month, Love goes a little crazy with her coping. She works out and attempts to do her stunt like crazy. At least 3 hours a day on top of her other practices. She dedicates more time to choreographing for her cheer team, she does countless amounts of extra credit homework, and even picks up a couple extra shifts at a restaurant she used to serve at in high school. 

Love tries to find an apartment, feeling as if she stays one more moment at Cora's house she will explode. Nothing has gotten better, even in the 6 months she was gone. Cora had nothing to say about Love's absence or the fact that Dream was involved. She really had nothing to say to her daughter at all. 

Today is a big day. It's game day. The game day. Love is wracking her mind, terrified that she's going to mess up this move and destroy any chances her team has at making it Nationals. Her body is so tired from all of the work she has been putting in. 

"Hey mom," This is the first time either of them have intentionally started a conversation with each other in the last 7 months. Love hates the point their relationship has gotten to but understands she did everything she possibly could be doing. "I have a really important game today. There's extra tickets on the counter," Love rushes out before hearing an answer from her mom. 

Rayna remains buckled in the drivers side of her jeep and Love climbs in. The nerves and excitement are real. They're performing in an actual arena today, in front of so many people. Love has mixed feelings about the day, as she does most other games. 

Nobody is coming to support her and she knows it. 

Love had gotten her hopes up. Thought that Dream or his family would be here since hers never is. But now, of course he wouldn't show up. Of course his family wouldn't show up. Not with Sam back in the picture. 

"You okay?" Rayna asks the friend in her passenger seat who is zoning out. Love shakes herself out of it, peeling her eyes off of the landscape they pass. 

"I'm good," That's the only way Love has been answering lately. The 'I'm ok' and the 'everything's good'. She has almost refused to genuinely talk about her feelings as of late. Their usually articulate and open friend hasn't been the same ever since her birthday. 

"I'm here whenever, Love," Rayna doesn't push it and Love has so much appreciation for this fact. The two girls get to the arena after 45 minutes ad rush into the makeup room. The girls on the team often joke about Love and Rayna dating each other in secret because of how close the two are. They do each others makeup before games, each others hair, help each other with stunts. There is no other kind of best friends like them. 

"Are you ready Love?" An assistant couch asks her kindly. They're all counting on her, most understanding that she will do her absolute best. 

"I think so!" Love has never been quite so anxious for a game before. Rayna has never felt so anxious for Love before a game before. Kam sits in his locker room, thinking of her too. It seems as if all the people who hold her dearly are thinking of her in this moment. 

The girls walk onto the field, hearing so many people cheering for their team. Love tries not to look in the audience for the seats her family was supposed to fill. "You are powerful," Rayna whispers into her ear before getting into formation. 

The game itself feels as if it goes on forever, having to stand there in their places and reciting the same dozen cheers every so often. But then it's here: the half-time show. The other team performs first, this being their home field.