|62| IKA-ANIMNAPU'T DALAWANG KABANATA

— AIDEN —

Holding the letter Aaron wrote in my hand, I entered Amayah's house. The kid decided that he'll see his mom tomorrow because apparently, it's school day and he's too tired to get up for a trip back to his other home. I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I recalled our bonding earlier and how he kept telling me to take care of his mom.

Grinning to myself, I practically skipped towards the place.

"Where were you?" I jumped in shock upon hearing Amayah's voice.

Turning around, my eyes landed on a seemingly angry woman with her arms crossed under her chest.

"I said, where were you, Aiden?" She asked again. "Do you know what time it is?"

I glanced down at my watch, gulping in nervousness when I saw it was already 11 o'clock.

"I was with Aaron–"

"Aaron?" She cut me off, eyes blazing. "I saw you near a restaurant with your red-headed friend. You told me you were with your friends and now you're saying you were with my son?"

"I was with my friends and with Aaron afterwards," I emphasized. "The others went home earlier while Vera and I talked, then after that I went to Aaron to apologize again."

"I don't see why you had to be left alone with her."

I frowned. "She's my friend, Amayah. We talked, she comforted me like a friend would, that's it."

"You couldn't talk about your problem with the others?"

"You're being ridiculous," I said, confused as to why she's getting mad for no reason at all.

"I'm being ridiculous?" She scoffed. "We had a bit of a problem and you go off running to the person who clearly still has feelings for you."

I sighed and closed my eyes, keeping in the anger boiling inside of me. She's anxious, worried about Aaron, not eating and sleeping well, and apparently still jealous of Vera, I should be understanding. Yup, I should.

"What? You have nothing to say? We have a conflict and you decided it's a good idea to talk about it with someone who likes you?"

I guess I couldn't anymore.

"And whose fault was that, Amayah?" I asked, clenching my fist. "It was you who avoided me for no fucking reason at all, so I'm sorry for feeling hurt and talking to my friend about how shitty you made me feel."

"And that person, who has a name by the way, told me to be there for you and helped me build up the courage to talk to Aaron again. I know you're upset about Aaron but don't drag Vera into this, she doesn't like me anymore and all she's doing is being a good friend to me. We kissed twice, Amayah. Two damn times. I never had a problem with you still being friends with your ex-husband whom you have a child with and fucked for years." I slammed the letter down the table. "There's your fucking letter, Aaron's not mad anymore."

Not waiting for her reaction, I left the place with a heavy heart. I wasn't able to even open the gate when a hand grabbed my arm from behind. I resisted the urge to pull my arm away from her and instead calmed myself down.

"What?" I snapped whe she stayed quiet.

"I'm sorry," I closed my eyes when those words were uttered with a tremble in her voice, her grip tightening.

Facing Amayah, I took her hand that's gripping my arm so I could hold her face in between my hands. My heart clenched upon seeing her teary eyes and quivering lips, her face showing an obvious tiredness. "I'm really sorry, Aide."