|24| IKA-DALAWAMPU'T APAT NA KABANATA

Tw: Violence

— AIDEN —

"Happy birthday, Aiden Alastair Guevarra!"

I groaned, covering my face with a pillow as Julius' voice echoed around the room. Although their voices were muffled and I didn't hear what they're saying properly. The blanket was pulled off my body and the pillow I'm using as a cover. I grunted in pain when two bodies threw themselves at me. Lexie and Zoey laughed as I tried to push them off.

"Too early," I whined.

"Oh come on! Get up, it's your birthday. Let's celebrate!"

Once I finally registered what they're on about, I felt my heart constrict painfully against my chest. The memories of the past suddenly flashing into my mind and the pain from every hit coming back as if I was there again.

Years of hard work, trying to forget, learning to love myself and building up everything I lost during my time with him suddenly seemed to have vanished. My progress breaking and all I could feel is his hands, all I could hear is his voice and all I could see is his face.

All I could feel is pain.

"Hey, are you okay? What's wrong?" Lexie sat up, her voice full of worry as she glanced at the unshed tears.

I tried to fake a chuckle. "S-Sorry, I'm just really, really happy."

"Are you–"

"I can't wait for you to see what we did! You'll be sobbing!" Julius interrupted excitedly.

Lexie wasn't convinced with my answer and I knew she was curious. But her boyfriend and Zoey appeared to be unaware and too busy to gush.

"Can't wait," I smiled timidly. "Why don't you guys let me shower first?"

Lexie was hesitant but didn't get to argue as she was pulled away and I was left alone to my thoughts. The brief distraction didn't last.

I went inside the bathroom, putting myself under the stream of warm water as I tried to calm my breathing.

"When I get home later from work, we can celebrate, is that good?"

I nodded enthusiastically although mama couldn't see me. "Yup! That'd be awesome. I can't waitttt."

"I know, baby. I am, too," she chuckled. "Go finish your assignment and wait for me, okay?"

"Okay, mama. I love you."

"I love you, too. Bye, birthday girl."

The smile I had didn't last as soon as I heard heavy footsteps coming from the living room, his gruff voice echoing as he called my name. Fidgeting with my fingers, I descended downstairs to see the man I once admired sat on the couch with a bottle of alcohol in his hand.

The clean and shaven look his face usually has was replaced with unkept stubble. The usual smell of sandalwood  now reeks of alcohol and sweat. My eyes automatically avoids his gaze as I looked down at the floor, my hands behind my back, waiting for what he's about to say.

"Happy birthday. " I didn't expect to be greeted ever since he found out about my defect, the shock must have shown on my face as he frowned. "You expecting a gift?"

I quickly shook my head."No, papa."

"Good. But don't fret, here," he tossed a paper bag that I thankfully caught. "For you."

My eyes lit up and hope rose in my chest. Maybe he would finally accept me and my choice to be a girl. Maybe he'll stop hurting me and Mama.

Papa urged me to open and the excitement in me couldn't wait so I did.