|6| IKAANIM NA KABANATA

AIDEN

"Thank you for giving me a lift." I smiled down at Zoey.

"You're welcome," she beamed. "Maybe you can treat me to another ice cream in return." Although I knew she was just teasing, I wouldn't mind treating her again as she's been such a kind friend to me. 

"Of course, anything you want." I chuckled when she squealed. We then bid our goodbyes, with her driving off and me standing in front of a huge two-story house. It wasn't as big as a mansion, but it was definitely bigger than my parents' house. It was also gated, and I could already somewhat see two cars inside. 

Nervously, I rang the doorbell. Not even a few minutes later, the smaller gate opened, revealing a woman in a maid's uniform. Well, they must be rich to have a maid, then.

"Are you the babysitter?" The woman asked.

Nodding, I said my name. "Yes, Aiden Guevarra, ma'am."

She smiled and gestured at me inside the place where Sir Tristan was already waiting in the living room. And I was right; there are two cars, one black and one red. Both expensive and from well-known brands. And there's even another space for one more car. Maybe they have three? 

Must be nice.

When we reached the front door, I crouched down to remove my shoelaces. 

"What are you doing?" I heard the maid ask. I looked up with a frown. 

"Removing my shoes?" It was more of a question. 

"You don't have to do that."

I pursed my lips. But why, though? The floor would get dirty with my shoes. 

"It's okay, I'll remove it," I said, then explained why. She nodded in understanding, letting me do what I wanted. 

Once we were inside, she led me to Sir Tristan. I instantly noticed a boy sitting next to him reading a book. The little guy looks to be around 9 or 10. Both of them looked up from what they were doing when the maid called their attention.

"You must be Aiden Guevarra?" Sir Tristan stood up, reaching out a hand for me to shake. 

"Yes, Sir."

"No need for formalities; just Tristan is fine." He smiled, gesturing for me to sit down.

"Yes, Si–Tristan," I said shyly, not used to calling people a lot older than me without honorifics. 

"Let's start with the interview, then?" I nodded.

The interview only lasted for a couple of minutes, as he just made sure I'm trustworthy and competent enough to babysit his son. After our conversation, he left for work, leaving me and his son alone in the living room. 

Compared to adults or people around my age, I'm more comfortable talking to kids.

"I'm Aiden; you must be Aaron?" I started out.

"Yes," he said, looking up from his book.

"May I know how old you are?" I tried to keep the conversation going. He must be shy or just aloof.