|19| IKALABING-SIYAM NA KABANATA

— AIDEN —

"I can't believe you two."

Professor Peterson crossed her arms under her chest, glaring at me and Aaron. The latter giggled quietly as I tried to hold in my laughter.

"You lost fair and square, mom." Aaron shrugged his shoulder, continuing his artwork on his mom's face.

I bit my lip in an effort to stop myself from laughing, especially when Professor Peterson is giving me a nasty glare. But the drawings on her face did not give her any favor and only made me want to laugh more.

"Don't you dare laugh or I'm giving you a 2 in your grades."

I gasped. "That's way out of line, Miss. You're such a sore loser."

Her glare hardened. "That's a 3."

I squinted my eyes. "I'm going to tell the dean you're threatening me just because you lost at chess."

"Tell him, I'll even accompany you."

"Children." Aaron muttered, shaking his head at the both of us.

Professor Peterson and I both turned our heads abruptly to look at the kid with raised brows. Aaron only shrugged his shoulder, stood up and went to the kitchen all the while shaking his head as if disappointed with us.

Did he really just call us 'children'? This kid?

I couldn't help but chuckle. "Kid thinks he's 30 or something."

"Yeah," Professor Peterson smiled. "I sometimes wonder if his maturity is a good thing or not."

"Why do you think it's not?" Being matured enough, specially at a young age is a good thing.

"Because he felt like he needed to." She answered with a sad smile. "Tristan and I... haven't been good parents to him lately. And experiencing that may have pushed him to mature and be independent."

What exactly is their problem to begin with?

Professor Peterson must've noticed the curiosity all over my face because she spoke before I could. "Divorce. Tristan... he wants to have a divorce."

Before I even had the opportunity to ask or even react, Aaron came back from the kitchen with the big box of pizza. Professor Peterson's face went from looking defeated to smiling instantly. I frowned at that.

Sir Tristan wants to have a divorce? Him? Does that mean she doesn't want to?

I internally groaned, hating myself for feeling hurt despite not having the right to.

"Why are you frowning, Aide?" Aaron asked curiously, making his mom also turn to look at me.

Instantly, I let out a smile. "Because you're taking too long to serve me my pizza."

"Oh, right! Sorry. Here you go."

I playfully messed his hair. "Thanks, bud. Now go serve your mom."

I busied myself with eating and watching the film currently playing when Professor Peterson suddenly stood up, now with a wet patch on her pajama pants. Aaron bit his lip, still holding the glass of juice and kept saying sorry.

"It's okay, baby. It was an accident." She leaned down to give him a kiss on the forehead. "Why don't you go sit with Aiden while I go change?"

"Okay, sorry again, mom."

"I know, you don't have to say sorry."

Professor Peterson then went up stairs, presumably to their room. I placed my arm around the kid and pulled him to me. Aaron's body relaxed, leaning on my shoulders as we watched.