1

Luke

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know dear, how much I love you, I hope my sunshine feels better again ,"

I sang softly to Gabi, who laid next to me with her little chest rising and falling rapidly after running through about a nightmare. They always happened when she was starting to feel sick, and her slightly runny nose gave it away anyway.

"I'll always love you, and make you happy, and you do the same for me. I love your cuddles, and your kisses, I hope my sunshine feels better soon,"

"They're not the words," she said tearfully, letting me wipe them.

"They're my words,"

I stroked her cheek with my finger and hushed her as she whimpered, followed by a huge sniffle.

"Blow your nose, then we can cuddle and go back to sleep,"

"We need Uncle Ashton,"

"What for?"

"To protect us,"

"We're safe munchkin,"

I passed her a tissue and waited for her to blow her nose, then she shuffled into my arms and swung her leg over my body to latch onto me as she slept.

I couldn't lie, I wouldn't mind Ash coming over. Our apartment was okay. It was small, Gabi's room was basically a box, but it wasn't bug infested or anything. The neighbourhood wasn't my favourite, so I would never let Gabi out my sight (I wouldn't let any 6 year old out my sight anyway) but we had a place.

After everything we had been through 5 years ago, all I had wanted anyway was for us to have our own safe space. We had made it out own, and loud neighbours and streets didn't bother us anymore.

Plus the front door had 3 locks anyway, as well as her bedroom door which I had shown her how to use in an emergency.

"I feel sick,"

"You probably need some sleep,"

"I want medicine,"

"You can have some medicine, wait here,"

I went to the bathroom and found her some, then went to the kitchen and got a spoon to take it, picking up a chocolate biscuit too because she hated the taste of it.

Like always, she took the medicine with grace, then munched on the biscuit as she rested in my side again. I pretty much accepted tomorrow would be a day off school for her, and just hoped my parents could take her for the day.

"That was gross,"

"I'm sorry angel!"

Suddenly, she let out a loud crackly cough, then swallowed and started to cry again, so I rested her on my torso and rubbed her back. Gabi was tiny. Teensy tiny for a 6 year old, especially for one with a dad this tall.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know dear, how much I love you, I hope my sunshine feels sleepy soon," I sang quietly, barely being able to keep my eyes open. I did though, until she fell asleep, at which point I immediately shut my eyes.

We slept until my alarm, and she went into a coughing fit as she woke up, crying as I hit her back a bit. It looked like a day off for me too, and a day to the doctors for her.

I rang into work, then rang for an appointment, and went to make her a bottle of milk. If she wasn't so sleep deprived I would use a cup, but she was, and I didn't want a bed covered in milk.