Chapter 6

I saw the ladies in front of me move up. I scooted up finally moving into the production building. I caught a glimpse it was airy looking with lights on long poles, a couple chairs too labeled ''Furdle'' and ''Monroe''.

''Hi next lady ''

The two red headed ladies Mrs. Furdle and the lady earlier this morning were sitting down at a table with papers. I looked closer noticing the no named curly haired lady was wearing a blue ribbon pinned onto her.

    ''Hi what is your name?''

''Alice, I am 26 years old.''

  Mrs. Furdle smiled and nodded.

    ''Last name too sweetheart.''

''Oh I don't really share that Mrs. Furdle.''

''What do you mean you don't...?'' She quickly cleared her throat.

''Oh pardon me please follow Rebecca, this way.''

Rebecca led me to a table with a lady with short black hair , glasses and gloves. 

  ''Hi Alice, I'm April. You need to lean in a bit please''

April brought out a little microscope tool leaning into me 

''Hmm do you not pluck your eyebrows, a bit messy. Okay tip your head down a bit, oh wow you have some pretty dark roots.''

More requests came at me.

  ''Purse your lips''.

I did. She pulled on them.

''Off color not as dark as Marilyn's. Now hold your breath so I can measure your cheeks.''

I did bloating my cheeks out so they felt like little balloons.

''Good full cheeks Alice, pore size quite different than Marilyn.''

    ''Alice now stand up I will measure you up.''

   April brought out a tape with lines on it. She came behind me wrapping the tape around my bust. Then unraveling the tape measuring  my height.

  She stopped making eye contact with me and went back to filling out a form.

  ''Tell the woman behind you to come here please.''

I did what I was told but felt bad being utterly ripped to shreds about my appearance.

  I told Mary Anne that she was next she is next she looked head over heels.

After all the women got done Mrs. Furdle came to the center of the production set.

  ''Alright ladies, thank you all so much for coming each and every one of you. Come here tomorrow Mr. Furdle will select our co - star. Well I have said enough for today you are all excused for today.''

  I walked out of the warehouse and around the corner waiting for Jack. I stepped closer near Furdles Watch and Co.I saw Jack he was walking with two other men both looking dressier than him. I saw them laughing , giving each other pats on the back. Jack finally rounded the corner, I was quite happy to see him, he was coming near me.

  ''My beautiful angel did you get the part?''

''I do not know yet. Did you make some new friends over there?''

''Well acquanties for now that was Mr. Furdle himself and his nephew Frank. But they do seem nice.''

''Anything  interesting happen to you today Alice?''

  ''Well there was a lady I met on the train days ago. Well I met her niece named Mary Anne at the audition. She is like a sweet hyperactive puppy. But I do think Mary Anne and I can be friends.''

''That's lovely darling that you are making friends, my goal is you to be happy Alice. Well Alice, since you wanted to stay for the night lets drop by your place to get some of your things.''

  How will I explain it to him that I live in  a run down  apartment?

Jack and I started walking more out of the production area it was still pretty light outside.

''Oh Jack, I need to get groceries.''

''I know Alice, we will stop by your house first then the store.''

''Jack I don't have a house.''

There was a pause for one or two seconds.

'' What do you mean you don't have a house? Then where the hell do you live?''

''An apartment its in a complex.''

''How come you got an apartment and not a house?''

  He had a bewildered look on his face.

  Jack and I were starting to leave the main intersection coming towards my area of residency.

  The two of us finally came across Hot Springs. 

  ''Wait what fuckers put you in this?''

''Yeah ... Yeah I know.'' 

I grabbed my keys and wiggled them into the key opening. 

  ''Do you want me to help you inside or do you want me to wait out here?''

I was too embarrassed to let him come in so I quickly went in grabbing my suitcase that was not even zipped all the way.

  ''Let's go love, I will take your bag  now off to the store.'' He said  and ruffled my hair.