Chapter 1

'' Thank you Ma'am , the bus will be coming in about five minuets  train 297 right by the wooden bench''.

  ''Thank You sir''. I grabbed my ticket thanking the jolly stout man and sat on the bench, placing my suitcase right near me. 

   I never thought I would be walking be leaving Baltimore. Let alone  out of that hospital unit seeing all of those  children , crying in a language I could not understand but all crying is universal no matter where you live in the world. A cry is a cry. Pain is Pain. It is time for a change  tending to sick children all the time knowing most of the time the children wouldn't last it through the next week knowing they are sick but not knowing how or why but I knew  it was time for me to leave Baltimore. Baltimore was often very cold and quiet. I chose a sunny state to travel to for a new life . I heard great things about California sunny and full of up and coming movie stars.My mother always wanted me to move out there and try the actress life knowing that I would never meet a man working as a nurse.Mother problay was right and California would have to be better than Baltimore.

   ''Last call train 297!''

I leaped out of my seat , reaching my arm under the bench grabbing my suitcase. The train doors were starting to slowly close , and huffing and puffing in  my Mary Janes are not the easiest to navigate in. I got close enough to the train as the doors were closing and shimmied my way in. 

  I felt a pat on my shoulder

 ''Ma'am ticket and name please.''

''Alice .'' 

The man looking me up and down looked a bit stern, ticket collector I assumed.

  ''Ticket ma'am''.

I was fumbling looking into my skirt pockets, then to relise a crucial mistake I must have left it on the bench. A huge mistake. Thinking to myself ''Kiss your California Dreams Goodbye''

'' Oh Honey it is so great to see you!''

A man in a dashing button down and slicked back black hair coming towards me. I have never in my life even seen this man before, yet alone with a huge smile.

  ''Sir is she with you?''

''Oh yes she is just brining in one of our child's suitcases.''

What on earth was this young man saying , he did look very young but a bit old enough to have at least a child. 

''Run along then ma'am.''

''Jack. Jack Chambers, nice to meet you.''

''Oh Alice ,just Alice.''

His eyes sparkled when he talked.

''Here let me take your suitcase off your hands.''

'' Oh are you sure you do not have to.''

Yes, Yes Alice I insist. Now please, go sit where the third row is.''

I was surprised and astonished never meeting this man , acting like he knew me his whole life. I also noticed he had a dazzling sparkle in his eye one that is majorly captivating. I followed his order and sat down where there was a martini glass with a ticket next to it with the name Jack Chambers written on it. There was more olives in his drink then there were actual gin.

   The new man came back slidling into his side of his booth ''my apologies for the abrupt greeting I saw your ticket fluttering away in the air and maybe I wanted a travel companion I am sorry about that.''

 What a sweet man I thought very kind and generous.

    ''What made you want to travel to California?''He asked swirling his martini

       ''I was a nurse taking care of sick children it was a very odd illness not anything I have ever seen before unlike any disease ever seen.  The children seemed not that physically sick just like there brain was not working but that did make them physically sick as well. I love people and kids making people feel better but all of it was quite loony. I needed a beak a change of pace, my Mother wants me to try out a new career.''

   ''Ah yes I have heard of that isn't it called the Pilihish Fydes or something?''

     I nodded. 

''Yes correct.''

''What about you Mr. Chambers?''

''You can call me Jack, and I do a bit of railroad working out here, and it is rewarding hard work but I'd like to start a new life maybe become a film maker.''

   ''Would you miss your family Alice?''

''Yes my family is a big part of me, they also liked me cooking for them.''

''What can you cook?''

''A roast, and potatoes.''

''Lovely my favorite meal. I could never cook well my family would just end up eating a leftover piece of coal.''

   When Jack said that he had an off tone in his voice.

''Mr. Chambers ... I mean Jack have you lived in Maryland or somewhere else?''

''I was born in England. Then moved to New York lived there for a while then travled to Baltimore to catch the train.''

    I continued to nod.