Cognitive Dissonance

'Ffff-uck!' Egil cursed under his breath while staring at his two icy blue glowing eyes looking back at him. Was it because he licked the blood? Did the rapist bitch infect him? ...did it matter?

Of course the city folk thought he wasn't human. Another reason for him to be ostracized. We'll just add it to the pile. Egil clamped the powder kit shut. He'd only seen himself briefly, but he had ready seen enough.

"Tell me about the fae." Leoni requested.

"They're a race of cunts." Egil responded. He tiled his head to the side, looking across the waters, reflecting the light of the fires, while the clouds did not. The barge's wooden bannister refused to yield, making the experience uncomfortable, but ultimately Egil didn't care.

"Is a 'race of cunts' better or worse than a 'bag of dicks?'" Leoni asked.

Egil smiled. "I guess they both bring their own brand of problems to the table." He looked back at her. "Well... we learned tonight silver appears to be sufficient for killing one. The mages successfully transported a fae in a silver carriage.

They like gold, which probably means its not a good idea to try to use it against them.

The legends are true, they do try to just lure people with golden shackles. You might have noticed they don't actually channel energy from the environment."

"Any idea why your eyes glow?"

"I got two: I either picked up some kind of disease from one, or I got it by licking blood off my sword in the last encounter."

"Those both sound rather intense. Want to start with the disease?"

"Yeah, sure, I was kept as an unwilling sex slave in Arcadia for what seemed like a week, but in this world it was closer to six months."

"Im so sorry."

Egil shrugged. "It happened. Really, the worst part was not knowing how I was going to escape."

"How did you escape?"

"She had crazy daddy issues, and daddy apparently had a flair for ivy."

"So the legends about ivy are true."

"Yeah... they are." Egil said with a sigh. Even thinking back on that time felt exhausting.

"And the blood?"

"Did you see my fight at all?"

"You fought with the fae? I saw you and them disappear. I had the demons search for a way out of the platform, when the entire world seemed to dematerialize."

"Yeah, so the fucker dropped me in some sort of white hallway next to a court yard. Then he sent one of his goons after me. I pulled a trick from some of my past training to get him on the ground. Shived him in the back of the neck.

The fae showed up, tried to heal the guy, and I decapitated... well... tried to... while he was distracted. ...hey, could you do me a favor? No devil's bargain needed. When you have the fae autopsied, can you do me a solid, and share your info?"

"Sure. Wait, so the fae was emotionally attached to the guy in armor?"

"I think so. At least, he knelt down and ignored me long enough for a clean hit."

Leoni looked towards the back of the barge. "...you sure he's dead?"

"Laying my cards on the table. I am as sure as I can be. He's pretty much been in Kage's mouth most of the night." ...while we were riding through the ashen pillars... Egil looked up at the burning horizon. Just let it go man. Leoni already bought your cooperation. Dont fuck up a good thing!