An evolving situation...

It was still the same night where Motoko investigated the split guild. The kitsune moved on to investigate the fires in the district, while Egil and Logan watched through her's and the phase walker's eyes.

From her perch, she witnessed the faint outlines of various mages testing out different spells; presumably in the hopes of putting out the fires. The church has probably also made attempts.

Egil groaned in frustration. He wasn't at a point where he could try channeling hell's entropy to try to resolve the issue. Through a combination of the kitsune's perspective, and the jinn's cartography abilities, he could make out Jack's little bastards patrolling the area.

"Any idea why this 'Jack' guy would create a fire that not even mages can put out?" The summoner demon asked.

"Nope."

"Think we should call it a night?" Logan had a point. We definitely aren't figuring this out today... or tomorrow... Damn, I feel inconsequential.

"Yeah..." He said defeatedly. "Motoko, return to base. Make sure you're not followed."

The kitsune expressed acknowledgment and bounded off with the phase walker. She might not understand English, but at least the demon link was good enough at conveying intent.

"Did this city normally not have a lot of people in the streets at night?"

"Not like this. I imagine people were urged to evacuate the district. That probably means there's a tent city somewhere. There are also a couple of gangs in that district. I imagine they're gonna get displaced and be a bit pissed about it."

"You think Jack wants to destabilize the city?"

"Not sure why. His big scheme was to blame the fires on me, which means publicly, 'They're the summoners' fault.' This fucks him more than helps."

"Nobody really talked about you at either of the two places."

"Yeaaaahhhh... Ive been a bit distant with this group." Egil walked over to the table Logan sat at, and poured himself some rum, bought off a merchant who wouldnt recognize him. "Its better I stay out of sight and out of mind."

"I imagine there's a story behind this."

"Im usually the go-to fall guy." He smirked. "I should stop pitching myself as a summoner. Everyone needs a fall guy."

The demon tilted his skull slightly. "Stay a summoner. Fall guys get executed."

Egil raised his glass, and Logan tapped it with his own. ...there's liquid in it. The skull took a gulp...? Where is the liquid gong?

"What?" Logan asked.

"Oh, nothing." Egil responded. Taking a swig of his own.

A brief moment passed, and then the demon broke the silence: "What's your next step?"

Egil thought for a moment. "Well, the fire is out of the question for now. I'll be keeping my distance from the guild for a bit. I am curious about what two of my associates are up to now, but I imagine they'll appear at the guild soon enough.

I want ammo for my dueling pistols. I also wouldnt mind them being upgraded to double action. I think that mechanist girl could help.

Also... Hashir, before he went running off with the gargoyle, said Im in need of a fellow schemer. Apparently he knows someone."

"Any details?"

"A succubus from Morocco. And before you ask, I already confirmed she speaks English."

"Ok, I'll compare notes with Hashir tomorrow and bring her in."

"Thanks."