Lessons Learned

The rumblings happened off in the distance. No saving the city.

Tanya? The summoner elf? Did they survive?

Egil took a deep breath rounding the corner. Years spent here, and I have just two names with no emotional attachment. All the original clockwork demons destroyed, along with the structures they created. My roots were wiped out.

The summoner rounded the corner to see the elaborate gown of Leoni standing ever so slightly out of the darkness of a tunnel leading down. The image reminded him of a sort of 'haunted ruins'. Damn. Just yesterday... no... just a few hours ago, this place had a future.

Leoni walked out into the open. She reached out with her fan, releasing one of its edges, letting it fall open... pointing at the ground.

Egil's eyes narrowed, and he lowered his frame with the wolf. Order her to flash-step left. He'll flash step into Leoni and have her abdomen open in the time it takes for that nightmarish tree thing to appear. The strike needs to be after Leoni committed to her attack. Too early, and she'll be able to course correct. Too late, and he and Kage will be another grotesque monument to the failure of the city.

The demoness then flipped up her fan and quickly waved it. Whatever would have had her betray him, apparently Egil passed the test. At least she had courage... or over confidence... to come out herself.

Egil had Kage walk up to the summoner. Not so close as to start a fight, but close enough to make it clear Kage's mouth was slightly above her head.

"The fae is still dripping blood." She noted.

That was probably his biggest bargaining chip. "Devil's bargain." He announced.

"Smart." She responded.

"My team is safe." If she couldn't agree to that, it would mean they're already dead.

"Agreed."

"You'll take us to the next port unharmed."

"Don't worry, you'll get there intact. ...you'll agree to hand over the body. And all the same promises for safety apply to me and my own."

"Yes." He paused for moment. There were tons of loopholes to this agreement, but he was crashing. His strength was fading. Fuck it. This was enough.

"...and..." Leoni started.

Egil flash stepped right in front of her. He stood a few inches taller. Was she always this tall, or did she opt for this during her conversion.

"I'll teach you how to channel better, and you'll teach me how to soul tether." Off in the distance, another low crash, as if to accentuate the sudden request.

Soul tether!? That was the one talent he had that was wholly unique to him. He had never seen another summoner pull it off.

The demoness looked up at him defiantly. He hesitated.

She took a step back, spreading her arms. Oh, fuck, what now!?

"Baeleth. Come out."

Behind her, in the darkness... something... appeared. It was red and black, with fur covering its head and neck.

Leoni snapped her fingers, immediately, an orb of light fizzled into existence; revealing a type of demon that had a curled up proboscis for a mouth. It unfurled its wings, revealing four muscular arms, each ending in sharp hook-taloned claws.

As soon as it expanded, it dropped to one knee. It made some sort of cross between a growl and choking noise.

With a swipe of Leoni's hand, Egil's cloak flew upwards. Crap! It was technically Leoni's! He quickly reached up, unclasping it. He looked back, ready to stab the thing... as it floated to the *clean* cobble stone street. The cloak didn't move. Egil looked up at Kage. She now sat, with body in mouth. The fur across her chest and neck glowed with the fae's blood. No ash on her.