How demons work

Egil called a meeting with the demon group, near the inside bannister area, that kind of served as their ad-hoc planning area.

The gargoyle jumped up to the top,of a nearby book case. Hashir leaned against its base, arms crossed. Aziza sat in on of the chairs, next to the table. Logan... stood?... near the bannister. Lena, noticeably, stood next to Hashir. In Egil's eyes, that was a reassuring sign of progress.

Egil placed the mask on the table. Then turned to Logan. "Im really lost after trying out this mask. Do all of you perceive the world as interconnected, optional events?" Essentially, all the demons nodded.

He really doubted they didn't know that he couldn't move normally. They helped him through the experience. This made them pretty trustworthy. "I couldn't move normally, but I needed for my intent to push time along. What would have happened if I wasn't told to... or in a demon's case, lost the ability to do so?"

Logan appeared to take the lead on this one. "A demon's existence is based around self actualization. Identity is everything. Its also under constant threat of vanishing, so in a sense, if a demon did lose their ability to move from event to event, Hell's entropy would consume them.

Hashir noticed the mask has a pattern which binds the user's aura to Hell, while its worn. If for some reason you lost your ability to move from event to event, Hell would most likely just consume your aura... and you. This is why the early possessions happened."

Egil paused. "Early possessions?"

"Before the war."

Egil raised an eyebrow. Before the demonic invasion, now there's a huge question mark. "What happened before the war?"

"Demon cognition and society didn't really start forming until a few hundred years before the war, so our understanding is pretty minimal.

As we understand it, life formed in the entropic layer randomly, and without a sense of self identity, so it was consumed as fast as it started. A little later, the mortal layer's third eyes started opening, which exposed various humans and other animals to Hell.

The life that existed in entropy, found self awareness through largely copying mortal personalities, through possessions. This is why, in human society, possessions seem rarer now, than in the past. Self-identity is now something that passes between generations of demons, so there's very little copying now.

This also created a sort of food chain, where demons preyed on each other. Many demons, fleeing consumption, either took possession of mortal beings, or managed to actually escape into the mortal world.

Since injuries in the mortal world tend to matter more, the demons who escaped, found themselves at the top of another pecking order... which we believe, led to the demonic invasion."

"Wait... so humanity got its ass kicked by the runts of Hell?"

"For the most part, yes."

Lena seemed to whisper something to herself. Was it a good idea to include her here? Just focus. Worry about that later.

"What demons haven't we seen?" Egil asked, not quite sure if he wanted to know the answer.

"That part is hard to explain." Logan answered. "Think about it more like, 'What demons do you know of that are too dangerous to be around?' The demons worst than that, who have been successfully summoned, killed all the humans who saw them, before any records could be made. ...its not like humans have historically not tried to bite off more than they can chew."

That was a little dark.