The exploding forest

The phase walker enveloped the man, briefly surrounding him in darkness, until the sounds of reality came crashing back like a wave upon the shore. The phase walker parted its shield without even breaking stride. He was safe for the time being. As he proceeded further though, there was Logan, standing next to a shredded horse.

The summoner demon looked ok.

Wait, if the damage to his horse was that bad. The kitsune. He looked back. No signs.

The phase walker proceeded to panic as well. The man didnt even have to give a follow-up command. They raced back to see a black fox bounding through the snow. The man willed the phase walker to form a handle on its back. He grabbed it, then proceeded to lean to the side.

So much for attempting to scoop her up. The fox jumped, easily clearly the height of the 'horse,' landing, then sliding on its back. Egil caught her before she could slide off, and braced her against his abdomen.

"Got her! Back to Logan."

The walker did a 180-degree turn, heading back to the summoning demon.

The cloak-like skeleton hybrid examine his horse. Dead. The kitsune communicated a similar experience.

The man slid off the phase walker. "You two take it. I'll find a way to survive."

The skull snapped him a look. "...you fucking serious?" He responded in a sharp tone.

"It will be easier for one of us to hide, than three, and I wont leave one of you behind."

Logan pointed a bony finger at the fire vortexes above the forest. "Those things are still siphoning off energy. They can make it cold enough to ensure everything in this forest dies."

"Im not leaving any-"

"Im not demanding that. Im demanding you come up with a better plan."

"Oh..." He thought for a moment. "Is teleportation an option?"

Logan scooped up some snow, studying it. "This is already a low entropy zone. Not only that, but they'll detect any spell casting."

"How long do you think it would take them to get here?"

"We didnt travel that far." He said looking down at the ground. "They're irritatingly well organized."

"Well... when a straight fight wont work, the next best option is to usually lay a trap."

"And then?"

"Take their horses."

"You sure you're not a demon?" Logan responded.

The man reached out to the gargoyle and jinn flying overhead. Both of them came in for a landing. The gargoyle dropped, using its claws on what was left of the trees to slow its descent, before reaching the ground. The jinn appeared as a cloud of fire and sand, materializing into its human form.

"We need to corral some soldiers. Give their horses nowhere to go. Was there any place either of you two saw that has walls on three sides?" Crap... he spoke it, rather than conveyed the idea over the link.

The jinn turned to the gargoyle relaying what was likely french.

"Wait... you understand me?"

The jinn turned to him. "All roads eventually intersect within my homeland."

The man smiled. "What's your name?"

"Hashir: The one who assembles."

"Glad to have you aboard."