Swords into plowshares

After the sun set, Egil went for a night stroll. Under the series of hanging lamps, he watched as Anya's super demon hold steel support in place, while his own clockwork's screwed in the necessary bolts. They would work tirelessly though the night, then the day, and then through the night again. He really lucked out with these, and they teamed up well with Anya's behemoths.

The behemoth was a towering amorphous blob-like thing. He didn't know the exact details of how it worked. The clockworks on the other hand, were essentially mechanical humanoids. They had the bare essentials to be considered 'demons' but they naturally lacked free will. This was pretty much a boon for Egil, since this avoided the old school problem of pressing free-thinking demons into service.

These automatons came into existence in response to what was essentially the start of the summoner profession. During the war, both sides began inventing tactics to counter the other. In the humans' case, they discovered imprinting. This became a problem for demons, because humans could imprint on the heavy hitters during combat.

The heavy hitters, would in-turn, begin attacking their own forces. If the demon had some sort of commanding role, then they could be coerced into ordering retreats or surrenders. In the latter case, the humans would then imprint on those forces and use them as ways to take the fight back to the opposing side.

The demons created the clockworks as expendable forces. The idea was to send them in first. They were cheap to produce, expendable, not very powerful, and could swarm. Proto-summoners could imprint on a clockwork, but mostly at the risk of getting taken out by the swarm. Sending them back at the demons didn't really help since each individual clockwork wasn't particularly powerful.

Following the war, the clockworks were essentially abandoned in the Hell layer. They were built well enough to survive the entropy. Egil essentially 're-discovered' them, during one of his investigations into what made sense for the role he was trying to fill.

His best guess as to why they weren't repurposed earlier, is probably due to multiple reasons. The first of which, is the peacetime humans wouldnt want to suddenly fill their cities with demonic weapons they originally fought.

Another reason would be they did look a bit uncanny valley-ish. Various designs had different types of 'faces.' They all accommodated some sort of enlarge camera apparatus, so each face was distorted to accommodate it.

The reason for the faces is lost to history. Imagining them as an approaching army, though, they would probably cause the humans to wonder if they were assimilated captives. They weren't. Viewing them through the 3rd eye, pretty much showed they were either purely of demon origin or had some earth materials incorporated into their design.

Egil looked around, where lights pierced through the darkness. They were building schools, roads, and market locations.

Maybe he would court the mage's guild to get access to their libraries. He needed more ideas to play with.