No plan survives execution: chaos is a ladder

After days watching the library, their opportunity came the following night.

Motoko hopped in from of the two mechs. 'splat' 'spat' with her rope darts, and the two pilots were down.

Egil and his team rushed to one of the library's doors. Aziza started on the lock. Lena ran up from behind, with the gargoyle, to secure one of the mechs.

'Click!' 'Got it!' Aziza said over the link, and in she went.

'Look for any mages.' Egil ordered.

'Nothing yet.'

'Logan.' Egil ushered the summoner demon in.

The library in this case, was only barely unpacked. They'd be throwing artifacts from boxes, more than trying to collect them from shelves. It looked like the library was already pretty well stocked with the mage books. How would they have room for the occult?

In the center, hastily positioned, stood the metal carriage; illuminated by the faint glow of moonlight columns extending from the windows.. 'Stick to the plan.' Egil urged everyone.

The summoner demon tore a portal open with his gauntlet rippers, then rushed to where they identified the beast totem. 'Got it!'

Aziza and Egil began throwing books and artifacts through the portal.

'Somebody is coming!' Hashir announced over the demon link. He transmitted an image of a group of robed figures. The phase walker moved closer to listen in.

"I told you for days, I'm taking my books back." That was Jack's monotone voice.

"And Im telling you again! That's illegal! The city already impounded them!"

Shit! Think quickly! They're gonna know somebody was here. Egil turned to Aziza and Logan.

This might not be a fight they could win. If everyone leaves through the portal, the mages / summoners will investigate the matter, to figure out who was being it. If there isn't someone to draw attention on the inside, Lena won't be able to escape with the mech.

'We're about to get made! Go through the portal and close it on the other side!'

'What about you?' Aziza responded.

'Im gonna eat it for the team.'

'That's stupid and risky!' Logan responded.

'Go damnit! I have an idea. If I can't see it through, you're gonna fuck us all.'

Aziza and Logan reluctantly made their way through the portal. Egil gazed in to make sure they were closing it... until Egil was suddenly shacked by the skulled visage of death staring straight back at him.

'If you die for real, we're chasing your fucking ghost down!' Logan stated.

'It'll be fine!' He grabbed the imp from his shoulder and chucked it through. It responded back with shock and annoyance.

The portal shut, bathing the library in darkness once again.

'Hashir and Leo! Get ready to cover Lena's escape!'

The cloaked figures flowed in through the doorway. "We always keep the doors locked, why would they... crap! Everyone spread out. I think someone else is here."

Egil grabbed an arm full of books, and ran quietly over to the carriage. Whatever they got in here, they don't want getting out. Quietly put down the books.

Ran over, quietly, to a room heater, grabbing its fire poker. He then quietly slid it into the 'u' of the padlock, and began rotating the tool. The metal quickly started groaning under the strain.