Chapter Forty-eight

I've always thought it cliche when people decide to take a new look when they want change or they are going through it but when I stare at my new look in the mirror, a smile tugs on my lips.

It was an impromptu decision and the scared look on mum's face when I asked for scissors made me doubt my decision for a second.

But she did and the length reaching my shoulder frames my face perfectly. The hairstylist added some touches. Streaks of my hair are highlighted with balayage and I'm loving it.

I put on a denim jacket over my length knee dress and twirl in front of the mirror.
I unscrew the lid of the mascara and lift it to my lashes, I apply lip gloss when I'm done.

"Mum", I yell moving down the stairs.

"In the kitchen"

She turns to me when I enter the kitchen and I notice tears well up in her eyes
"Darling, you look beautiful"

"Thanks, mum"

I send her a firm gaze when she starts sniffling but it soon falters when tears spring into my own eyes.

"Don't ruin your mascara because of me. Go out and have a nice time"

I pull mum into a hug
"I love you"

"Love you too"

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»

Every nerve in my body stands on end when my GPA tells me I'm almost there. I turn on the radio hoping to calm my nerves with music.

James Arthur's "Say you won't let go" fills the speakers. The soothing slow rhythm in the song begins and I sing the lyrics out loud.

I met you in the dark, you lift me up

You made me feel as though I was enough

We dance the night away, we drank too much...

Five minutes later, my car comes to a stop in the parking lot.
The familiar building displays brightly in front of me bringing back the nerves.

"You can't back out now, Lexi. You need to do this"

I let out a huge breath before moving to the glass doors and pulling them open.

Delicious smells invade my senses and my eyes scan the whole shop looking for a black-haired, green-eyed boy. He is turned to me and with heavy steps, I walk toward him but, any shred of courage I walked here with disappears the minute he lifts his eyes to meet mine.

He stands up, a startled expression on his face.
"I..."

"Wow", he blurts out.

"Um...?", I say, no words willing to come out.

"Going for a new look?", he gestures to my hair.

"Yep, impromptu decision but so worth it"

"I agree, you look beautiful", he says.

Flustered, my hands do what they do best when I'm afraid or nervous. They move towards my bracelet fiddling with the charms.

"Thank you"
"Did I keep you waiting?", I ask changing the subject.

"No, I just arrived"

He moves to sit and I stop him.

"Can we change seats"

"Why, is there a problem?"

"There's no problem. I just want to change seats"

"Okay", he says with a look of confusion.
"If you say so"