Chapter Thirty-five

Curiosity fills me as I stare intently at the box, rolling it over and racking my brain, trying to remember where I had seen it in the past but most importantly, what it meant to Rose to have her lock it up.

I must admit, a part of me wants to break it, get done with it, and find out what it contains but the other part can't fathom the idea of breaking something that belongs to Rose.
There is something very important about the box–I can feel it but why can't I remember where I saw it.

Twiddling around the small lock on the box, I notice something familiar about its teeth.
Even the lock is familiar so why is my memory failing me at a time like this?

I step out of my bed and walk into my bathroom and straight towards my sink. Rinsing my face with water, I hold on tightly to the sink trying to resist the urge to look into the mirror. I grab a face towel off the rack and dry my face. The moment I lower the towel down my face, my eyes meet the mirror, and recognition of every flaw begins but surprisingly, it also recognizes the fullness of my lips 

Though mediocre, laughter bubbles
out of my lips as tears fill my eyes and I notice the way my irises stand out, the light brown color in them, dare I say how bea–

Okay, I can't admit that yet but I see and feel something different about two parts of me today.

What do you think you're trying to do?

I stare back into the mirror with a challenging look and it takes seconds before I stare away but progress, right?

You will never be able to accept yourself

I crave ice cream
I don't know where that thought came from but I want ice cream.

You are dumb if you think you can–

I shut my bathroom door behind me silencing the voices and as my back hit the door, a shriek erupts from me when I see Blaze on my bed, scrolling through his phone.
His presence has me frozen for a minute before I realize what I'm wearing.

I rush towards my closet, grab the first hoodie I see, and rush back into my bathroom.
Fortunately, the hoodie covers my thighs down to the front of my knees and after pulling it, I take a deep breath to calm my nerves.

I walk back to my room minutes later plastering a smile on my face.

"Why the rush?"

I should be asking you
"What are you doing here?"

"Didn't you receive a message from Addison?"

"I did but I thought she was coming alone"

"She was that is,until I decided to tag along", he says with a shrug

"Why?"

"I'm beginning to think you don't want me here"

I give him a blank look

"Ouch", he says with a hand to his heart and falls dramatically on the bed.

"Stop being dramatic"

I hear a buzzing sound and Blaze picks up his phone, annoyance filling his features.

"I swear Lucas if you send me one more picture of you and a girl tongue swapping, I will block you", he speaks into the phone and slides it into his pocket.

"What's up with Lucas, I have not heard from him since he left for his family trip"

"He's alright, just being an ass as always"

"Anyways", he parts the space next to a purple-wrapped object on my bed
"Take a seat"

"This feels like an interrogation"