Chapter 22: Into The Wilderness

Amy is walking through the Village Center with a stick in her left hand. Me, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Sticks walk in and join her.

"Hey Ames. Where you headed?" Sonic asks.

"I'm off to collect Gum tree berries for my holiday wreaths."

"Exploding berries? Little grenades for when the holidays get out of hand?" Sticks asks.

"No. They just look nice on your door."

"But pretty things attract government agents. And opossums. And you know how horrible they smell. The opossums too."

"I'll take that chance." She starts walking again.

"See you when I get back from Hidden Meadows."

"Hidden Meadows, huh? How are you gonna get there?" I enquire.

"Well, I was gonna go through Hazard Jungle, past Peril River, over Danger Falls, through Pleasant Gardens and around Jeopardy Lake."

"Are you kidding me? You'll make it through Pleasant Gardens. I got to teach you some survival skills." Sticks says.

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles start chuckling.

"What are we laughing at?" Tails asks.

"If anyone should teach Amy survival skills, it's me. After everything Eggman's thrown at me, surviving in the wilderness is a piece of..." Sonic walks into the well and falls into it with a splash. I shake my head.

"...Cake. I'm OK. I'll use my survival skills to fashion a ladder out of... Water. Tails, pull me up." Tails pulls Sonic out of the well.

" Great work, Tails. You passed "Well Rescued". See, I can teach anyone."

"How about Knuckles?" I gesture to Knuckles who is holding a walnut in his right hand, which he places on a stump of tree, and gets ready to break it with a rock in his left hand.

"I bet that I can teach Amy survival skills better than you can teach Knuckles. Heck, I can teach Malaika too!"

I shrug. "Sure."

A thump sounds.

"Ow!" Munching is soon heard. "Mmm! This is tasty."

"And the losers have to do the winners' laundry for a month." Amy adds.

"That's not a fair bet. Knuckles and I don't wear pants. But I'll do it just to teach you a lesson."

Knuckles is sucking on his sore fingers.

"So, we'll race to Hidden Meadows. That'll take a good four days. And some serious survival skills." Sticks says.

Sonic runs off and returns a split-second later with a cup full of gum tree berries.

"Ta-da! Gum tree berries."

"It's teams, Sonic. You and Knuckles vs Malaika, Sticks and me.

"Well, if there's three of you, me and Knuckles will get there quicker!" Sonic smirks.

"Well, Knuckles isn't as fast as you, speedy. To win, both of you need to get there. Good luck with that." I flick his nose, before walking off with Amy and Sticks giggling.

Sonic stares after us but shakes it off.

"Well, team mate, I..." The gum tree berries in Sonic's cup explode. Knuckles whimpers and jumps into Sonic's arms.

"I thought you love nature." Sonic questions.

"I do! That doesn't mean I know how to survive in it."