Chapter 5: My Fair Sticksy

Meteors are raining down on the village, sending the villagers scrambling in panic. Me and the gang are watching this.

"Meteors are shooting stars. We shouldn't be running. We should be making wishes! I wish for a pony!" Amy cheers. I shake my head.

"And I wish you'd take cover."

Sonic grabs Amy's arm and runs for cover, followed by Tails, Knuckles, me and Sticks. A meteor hits where we just left. We're soon under the shelter of a building.

"How come your wish came true?" Amy pouts. Sonic just smirks.

"I wish we had something to stop these meteors." I said.

"Should I use my meteor defense system?" Sticks suggests.

"You have a meteor defense system?" Tails asks.

"I have defense systems for all sorts of junk." She says, tapping some nearby levers "Wildfires, floods, people trying to read my thoughts."

"Yeah, start with the meteor one." Sonic deadpans.

Sticks takes aim at an incoming meteor, and pulls a lever. A series of wooden paddles pop up and start swatting the meteors away.

"Oh come on! Even Malaika's wish came true!" Amy pouts again.

"The "people trying to read my thoughts" one is exactly the same, but with tinfoil trim."Sticks says.

(Time Skip)

Sticks enters, carrying a letter. "Someone left this at my house."

"Yeah, the mailman. It's a letter?" Sonic says dryly.

"Letter, huh? I don't know. Paper folded over itself? What's it hiding? What's it hiding?" Sticks sniffs the letter.

Amy grabs the letter from Sticks and opens it. She then gasps in surprise.

"Sticks, you've been nominated for an Awardy Award!"

"Awardy what?" I question.

"They really need a better name for that thing." Tails says sarcastically.

"Ooh, lemme see!" Knuckles grabs the letter, puts on some reading glasses, then looks closely. "Oh wait, I can't read."

Sonic grabs the letter. "Gimme that! In honor of saving our village, the Mayor cordially invites you to the Awardies. Huh, conveniently, you can also bring your five closest pals."

Everyone looks at Sticks with anticipation, including Comedy Chimp, who is there for some reason.

"Sorry, Comedy Chimp." Sonic says. Comedy Chimp sighs and leaves.

"Now where was I?" Sonic clears his throat.

"The Awardies will be at the Mayor's Mansion. You'll dine on--" Ooh. Elegant food and mingle with elegant guests. After which the Awardy Award will be awarded to the winner. Which could be you!"

......

"I can't make it."

"What? Why not?" I ask.

"Well, you know... I'm slammed this week! See?" Sticks opens a scheduling book.

"Tuesday: Rummage through garbage. Wednesday: Rummage through garbage. Thursday: Get tetanus shot. Friday: Rummage through garbage." I'm booked solid!"

"This is the honor of a lifetime!" Amy exclaims.

"You might even win a shiny trophy! You love shiny things..." Tails trys to persuade her.