Part 35

I stare at the teeming crowd.

Then I stare at Hashirama.

"I thought we were only inviting our closest friends?"

Hashirama laughs sheepishly as his hand scratches the back of his head. "I may have...overdone it...a bit?"

I slap a hand to my face. "A bit?! You invited the whole school."

His laughs die down, and he quickly clears his throat to cover his embarrassment. "Ahem...I still believe Tobirama will show up."

I sigh as I let my hand slide down my face. "Well, good luck with that. How are my Anteiku coworkers doing? Please don't tell me they're dying from overwork."

"Oh, no!" He laughs heartily. "I invited all the coffee shop staff over, including your manager."

My hand comes to my forehead in another slap. "Hashirama?!"

He bursts into laughter again.

***

Ever since we nearly reduced the entire apartment to ashes, Tobirama has banned us from ever entering the kitchen for a second time.

Which is why we've switched strategies and enlisted the help of anyone who could cook and make drinks.

Of course, that doesn't mean we don't get to have fun; everything's made in advance, and we only need to work for about an hour into the party. After that, we're free to join the party in whatever way we wish.

Bless my crude soul, I've never actually shopped for a decent item to wear at a party (I myself don't frequent parties either). The only outfit that I've deemed fitting for the occasion is probably a turtlenecked, sleeveless, royal blue velvet side tie top (well, it's called a top but it only shows a teeny tiny bit of my stomach, which is still acceptable, I guess), complete with waist-high black trousers (and yes, slightly flared at the ends—I love flared pants).

And of course, the necklace Tobirama gifted me on my birthday is on my neck—it's been there 24/7 since I first received it. (I had to ask Tobirama to wear it for me, since I'm terribly clumsy.)

Anyway, here I am, finished with the drinks stand, mingling in the crowd along with my coworkers.

Hashirama's mansion—yes, the man owns a fucking mansion—is now bathed in all sorts of flashing party lights. Yet he seems to be on the brighter end of the color spectrum, because the mansion isn't thrown into near complete darkness like most other parties I've seen. There's still enough light to make out who and where you're around, which is rather considerate on his part.

"Oi, where's your date?" Hide yells above the pounding music.

"Huh? What date?" My mind is only partially on whatever Hide's saying.

I've got to find Tobirama and give him the gift—if he's even here, that is.

"Sheesh! Tobirama, of course!" Nishiki butts in.

I'm stuck between laughing it off and slapping both of them unconscious. "Enough, you two!"

"Aw, now, c'mon, don't be shy!" Hide hollers, rocking along with the beat.

"I'm with Hide on this. Didn't you see the way he looked at you?" Nishiki supplies.

I roll my eyes. "Seriously, guys?"

"Oh, [y/n]."

I tense.

It's Madara.

"Good evening," I say stiffly.