Part 11

Something I never thought would happen happened.

I fell asleep.

Right in the middle of Tobirama's period.

Maybe it's because of the fight last Sunday night at the practice club. The toughest guy picked on me and things quickly spun out of hand into a bloody match. I did end up winning though, by a very narrow margin. Or maybe it's because of all the subjects I took on learning. Or maybe it's because business at Anteiku went up all of a sudden and we were all busier than ever.

In any case, I still nodded off while Tobirama was teaching.

Don't get me wrong, it definitely is not because he's Mr. Lull-The-Class-To-Sleep. If anything, he's one of the best teachers so far—we all agree on that.

I guess all that I've been shouldering wore me out way beyond my breaking point.

Anyway, I think I hit hard wood when I passed out. But when I came to, I found that my head was nested on a soft pillow.

Of course, as in all situations, my mind automatically pinpoints Sakura.

Before I even think of asking, Sakura's already spilled.

Turns out Tobirama's no stranger to students dozing off. And, as my roommate, he figured I must have burnt myself out way past my limit. So he left the classroom shortly, texting Sakura to meet him outside about five minutes later. Sakura came back with a pillow he borrowed from the teacher's room, and the rest is history.

"You know, your roommate-sensei really cares about you." Sakura eyes me with a look I can't really put a finger on.

"Huh?" It takes a while for my clouded mind to process what she just said. "Uh...yeah, I guess."

"You guess? [Y/n], it's so obvious," Sakura rolls her eyes.

"What's obvious?"

"He cares that much about you, don't you see?"

"I thought...roommates watching out for each other like that is normal? I mean I had to break all the ice the first few days."

"Jeez, you don't get the point." She shifts in her chair so that she's facing me in a more comfortable position. "Okay, first off. Does he seem to be someone who would help you in any way?"

"I mean, not at first, but probably yes when you're more familiar with him."

She rolls her eyes. Again. "Okay, fine, whatever. Scratch that first question. The second one: does he have the obligation to help you buy textbooks? He's a teacher, [y/n], remember that."

"No."

"Correct. And he still did it. Now, the last thing. Does he need to stuff that pillow under your head?"

"No."

"That's it! He doesn't have the obligation to do any of the things he did for you. In fact, he could have gotten pissed off at you for sleeping in his period. But he didn't, and he even gave you a pillow."

"So what? That doesn't change things, Sakura. He still passed the pillow on to you, meaning he didn't want to be involved directly."

She looks like she can't slap enough sense into me. "We don't know about the 'didn't want to be involved directly' part, so let's leave it out for a second. But [y/n]," she pauses for effect, "here at Konoha University, he's a teacher. If he gives you that pillow directly, you're going to be asked questions, and not likely ones that you'll want to answer. So of course he can't just walk up and stuff a pillow under your head!