Part 19

They say teras are the best refuges for people who are troubled in the mind and heart.

Even though I've never liked dabbling in all the meditation shit, I have to admit they have a point on this one.

The minute I set foot in here, it feels like I'm in an entirely different world that's somehow detached from the rest of Earth. I guess this is what they mean by zen: perfectly calm, safe and secure in oneself, yet still balanced and aware of the world—that's what I feel when I'm walking around in the tera's snow-coated garden.

I wrap the scarf a little tighter around my neck.

I've always been especially sensitive to the cold. A slight drop in temperatures would already have me wrapped in a coat.

But the tera actually feels warmer than the outside, even though I'm in an outdoors garden. Cool, huh? Believe me, I'd like to know how that works, too.

I've finished my prayers back in the haiden. According to the others, I sure took my time with whatever I was praying for, but I don't mind.

I just want the best for everyone.

The first semester has taken its toll somewhat on my mental health, and so I split up with the others to take a stroll out here before rejoining them at the gates, where they've found an interesting fortune teller and decided to try their luck there.

Now it's just me, a tiny drop in the zen garden, and the sound of my boots crunching on gravel.

I wonder how my family is doing.

I've only been able to get in touch with them via texts and calls. It's the only thing we can do at this distance, and we all know that.

It's not that I miss them terribly—if anything, I'm someone better suited going on alone than sticking around with my family. Don't get me wrong, it's not because I don't love them; it's just because the family dynamics don't flow with each other that smoothly. I'd love to have a chance to get on better terms with my parents, but...it just doesn't work most of the time.

If I were to be honest, I kind of envy Tsuna-chan. She's close to her uncles who really adore her.

While I may not have my family's back, I have great friends...and a wonderful roommate-sensei.

Sakura did send me a text saying "Happy birthday!" in advance, as well as suggestions on what I should get as a gift. We've been looking through necklaces last night, and I've set my eyes on a rose gold necklace in the shape of a crescent moon. It goes without saying that I'll have to wait until either Sakura or I can buy me one of that, though, but it's okay. I can wait.

Besides, I aim to be able to buy things that I like on my own.

Leaning back against the red balcony, I sigh and hide the lower half of my face behind my scarf, with nothing to accompany me but my warm breath as it fuzzes my vision up.

"Mind if I join?"

I look, and there stands Tobirama, leaning against the balcony.

"Aren't you with Hashirama and Tsuna-chan? What happened?"

"Nothing. Just thought I'd drop by and say happy birthday. Although I'm a little late to the party."

I smile. "Thanks, Tobirama."

"You can save that for later. I'm not finished yet."

I raise both eyebrows. "What else is there?"

He fishes something out from his pocket, but his hand comes out in a fist so I can't see just what it is.

Then his hand spreads and a rose gold necklace in the shape of a crescent moon hangs free from his fingers.

My eyes widen as my hands come to my mouth. "What...What's this?"

"Your birthday gift." He smiles. "Happy birthday, again."

The surprise tugs at my heartstrings, and my eyes tear up. My emotions get the best of me, and I spring to tackle Tobirama in a bear hug. "Thank you so much, Tobirama."

He's seemingly taken aback by the gesture, but still returns with an embrace anyway.

"You're welcome, [y/n]."