I Hope She's Okay

9-23-22 • 5:10 AM

My neighbors woke me up around 3:30AM, and I haven't been able to sleep since. They were shouting.

From what I've gathered from hearing them bicker throughout the month that I've been here, I believe that my neighbor is in an abusive relationship with the father of her child. The father visits fairly often, sometimes to drop off who I assume to be their child. One time, I heard him banging on her door for an hour.

This morning, there was a huge fight outside of her door. She was pleading to him, seemingly to not enter the house, but I couldn't make out her words. I could only hear her tone: fear, desperation. He was angry with her about something. I believe I heard him force his way into the house. There was silence for a few minutes, as they were likely deep inside of her house, but then I heard her shriek in fear as she neared the front door again. I reflexively jumped out of bed and ran to the back of the house, away from the window. I wasn't sure what to think. Did he have a gun? Was he going to start shooting? Did he hit her? I wasn't sure.

I Googled if I should call the police. Apparently, I didn't have enough evidence that she was hurt to make a complaint. I didn't hear any threats. I didn't know why she screamed. It sounded less like a strike and more like he was grabbing or pulling her. But isn't that enough to call the police? 

But what would the police solve?

He shouted at her for a few more minutes before I heard him drive away. It's been quiet since.

I feel so bad for her. He sounds awful, and there is a child involved. I've been trying to go back to sleep, but my mind is still recovering from that adrenaline spike.

In lighter news, I celebrated my 6-year anniversary with my boyfriend last night. He's away at school, so we had a super chill night together over the phone. He sent me a yummy poke bowl for dinner, and we watched anime together. We didn't stress too much about planning a more elaborate celebration. We'll save the festivities for late October, when I visit.