Chapter 11 - The best day

________________________________

"But I know I'm laughing on the car ride home with you, don't know how long it's gonna take to feel okay, but I know I had the best day with you today

"But I know I'm laughing on the car ride home with you, don't know how long it's gonna take to feel okay, but I know I had the best day with you today."
- Taylor Swift
________________________________

Jess's P.O.V

Avery filled me in on everything. Eight. One. One. Those were the clues Avery was able to find, and there was still one more. All based off the Hawthorne grandsons middle names.

She decided to head to her room though, instead of looking for the next clue. Take a break. That left me and Grayson alone.

I hadn't looked at him since he asked me to stay. The room was quiet, my breathing felt to loud. Neither of us knew what to say, and it was awkward. Every part of me wished this moment could end.

"How long have you and my sister been working together?" I asked, finally meeting his eyes, my voice held a slight tremble. Grayson almost seemed caught off guard at the question. He took a moment to respond.

"Nothing is happening between me and Avery. She clearly likes my brother." I was glad to hear the words, but there was still a voice at the back of my head telling me that that wasn't the entire truth.

"Good cause I think I'd kill you if something was." I said, trying to sound a little sarcastic and upbeat. He smiled at me, and I smiled back.

There was something about the way that he smiled that made my heart beat faster and my palms become sweaty. Those all to familiar butterflies returned, and you'd think I'd be over that stage, but I don't think I'd ever get over the way he looks at me.

"There's an event happening tomorrow night, how would you like to attend it with me?" I should have said no, but what was life without a little risk. I was done playing it safe and trying to stay away from him because that clearly wasn't working. It was like we were drawn to each other. "As friends." The last words caught me off guard but I knew he was only saying them to make me more comfortable.

"I'd gladly come, gives me an excuse to wear my new dress and heels." I gave Grayson a smirk. Grayson laughed at me, which made my grin grow bigger and the pink on my cheeks got darker.

"You wore those heels the night we had dinner with Thea, correct?" At the mention of the night I got brought back to many memories, which I chose to ignore.

"They're my only pair." I said, a little flushed. Grayson looked sorta surprised.

"Want to go get some more?" Yes. I wanted to go out with Grayson. Of course I did. But what I truly didn't understand was why he was asking me to do all these things when only nights before he had told me that I needed to stay away from him.

Grayson's P.O.V

Why was I asking Jess to go shopping? I was supposed to be keeping her at arms length. The event was one thing, but why had I offered to take her shopping? I thought she would have said no but she didn't and now here we were standing in front of one of the biggest malls in Texas, which just so happened to be owned by my family, now I guess it was owned by Avery.