Chapter 8 - The other side of the door

________________________________

"I said "leave", but all I really want is you to stand outside my window, throwin' pebbles, screamin' , "I'm in love with you

"I said "leave", but all I really want is you to stand outside my window, throwin' pebbles, screamin' , "I'm in love with you."
- Taylor Swift
______________________________

Grayson's P.O.V

When Zara asked me to help Avery at the foundation, I agreed. Now though having to meet her there in half an hour, I was severely regretting my decision.

I wasn't thinking when I decided to go, I was only thinking of one thing, my mind fogged by the memory of Jess's lips on mine. Another memory followed, a girl with red hair and a contagious smile. I ruined everything, I did with Emily and now Jess.

Pulling myself together, I walked out of my bedroom door. I walked quietly down the endless hallways. It was so quiet my breathing felt loud.

I walked by Jess's door. I paused for a moment, questioning if I should knock. No, I shouldn't. I hurt her pretty bad. I knew she wasn't ready to face me and to be completely honest I wasn't ready to face her either. After a few to many seconds I walked away, as if I had never been there.

...

Avery arrived 10 minutes late. I hated it when people were late. I didn't particularly like Avery and I knew she didn't like me so I wasn't sure why I was expecting anything from her. The first thing she did was admire the photographs hanging all around the walls.

"Ms. Grambs." I said to her, those hazel eyes, like her sisters, looked over to me.

"I was supposed to meet Zara." She looked so much like Jess that it made my heart stop. The only clear difference between the two was they're hair.

"Zara isn't coming." I wish she was. "She's convinced that you are in need of...guidance. For some reason, my aunt seems to believe that guidance would be best received coming from me." She didn't seem to even be listening to what I had said.

"You took these?" She said all of a sudden, looking at the photos around us. She reminded me so much of Jess in that moment. The same surprised expression, the same amazement in her eyes.

"My grandfather believed that you have to see the world to change it." I stared at her for a moment, before I looked away. "He always said that I was the one with the eye."

...

I spent hours teaching Avery about the foundation. Every time she looked at me I felt nervous, she was so much like Jess. They were practically the same person. Maybe that was why I felt this way about Avery, because every time I looked at her, I saw Jess standing In her place.

My phone rang, taking me out of my thoughts. I looked down at the phone and it said that it was Nash who was calling. I looked up to Avery.

"It's Nash" she nodded her head.