Chapter 7 - Untouchable

________________________________

"Untouchable like a distant diamond sky, I'm reaching out and I just can't tell you why

"Untouchable like a distant diamond sky, I'm reaching out and I just can't tell you why."
- Taylor Swift
________________________________

Avery was looking at another will, which just so happened to be in red ink. Me, Grayson and Jameson stayed behind, but I thought about it the entire 48 hours we were waiting. Avery had had to wait 2 days before she could see the will, but today was the day.

I was in the library looking at all the books. The signed first edition of Harry Potter was what caught my eye. It must have been worth a ton of money, this whole library must of cost a lot of money. I was just gonna have to get used to things being expensive.

Just as I had finally picked a book out of the hundreds of amazing ones someone walked in. That someone just so happened to be Grayson Hawthorne.

"Jameson texted. Westbrook. Winchester. Davenport. Blackwood." Grayson said, repeating the text.

"Your middle names." The Hawthorne's seemed to have a tradition of strange middle names.

"Did your mother give you your middle names?" I asked.

"No," Grayson paused. "I believe my grandfather did." This game that Tobias Hawthorne came up with, he had been planning this for a long time. Maybe for 19 years.

"Your middle names sound like places or maybe things?" I didn't know where we were going to go with this. Grayson said he didn't even want to play, and yet here he was, with me, his enemy, a girl from his past, playing the game.

"Grayson I need to know," He looked up from his phone, meeting my eyes."Are we staying away from one another?" He thought about it for a minute.

"Yes." I hated that when he spoke my heart sunk. "But, I will help you and your sister with this game, if only so I can get answers." My heart rose again and I hated myself even for for that. "Just know that things will be broken and people will be hurt, don't hate me if you are one of those people."

"I don't break easily." I said. I wasn't glass, I wouldn't break with the lightest touch.

"Hawthornes break everything Jess, no matter how resilient one is." For some reason I believed his words.

...

Jameson and Avery went to talk to Skye, who just confirmed what Grayson had said. Tobias Hawthorne had chosen their middle names.
Though instead of discussing things with me and Grayson they decided to go for a car ride. Avery was now paying the consequences.

Oren was currently giving Avery a very detailed, angry discussion on security protocols. Sense Avery's room was directly next to mine I heard most of the conversation.

We still didn't talk after that about the game. Grayson and me didn't talk much either.

...

Today was the first day of Avery's first full week of school. After school I was told Zara was going to help her at the foundation.