Chapter 4 - Mr. Perfectly Fine

________________________________

"Mr. "Always at the right place at the right    
    time, baby, hello Mr. "casually cruel", Mr.      Everything revolves around you"
- Taylor Swift
________________________________

There was some much chaos and yelling.

"He left everything to her?"

"Why?"

"Who the hell is she?"

"There must be some mistake." That voice was the only one I cared about. He out of all people should be mad, but his voice gave no hint of it. By the way he looked at me in those first few moments though it was clear that me and my sisters were no longer trusted, or welcomed.

"He's right." A soft, shaky voice said. "Grayson's right." The heir apparent looked over to my sister. "There must be some kind of mistake."

"Avery." Libby said, nudging our sister.

"You see? Even Ava agrees this is ridiculous." I looked over to Skye, giving her a deadly glare. It was starting to make sense why the old man had disinherited his family, seeing as his daughter couldn't even get Avery's name right.

"I assure you there is no mistake." Mr. Ortega's voice echoed over everyone else's. "And I assure the rest of you, Tobias Hawthorne's last will and testament is utterly unbreakable. Since the majority of the remaining details concern only Avery, we'll cease with the dramatics. But let me make one thing very clear: Per the terms of the will, any heir who who challenges Avery's inheritance will forfeit their share of the estate entirely." The room was a deadly kind of silence. Everyone thinking, guessing what was about to happen next.

"No will is that ironclad." A man beside Zara said, who I assumed to be her husband.

"Spoken like someone who didn't really know the old man." That came from Nash, who hadn't said much nor seemed to disappointed about the will.

"Traps upon traps, riddles upon riddles." Jameson said, his eyes glued to Avery's. It seemed as only Grayson was truly angry with the will, and maybe that was because the rest of the boys never believed they were ever even considered to inherit the fortune, not when there brother was the perfect heir apparent.

"I think you should leave." A statement, not a request. Coming from none other then the heir apparent himself, but his word no longer mattered. He couldn't force Avery out of her own house.

"You can't force her out of her own house." I said to Grayson, who gave me a glare of hatred.

"Ms. Grambs is correct. Avery owns it all. Not just the fortune, but all of Mr. Hawthorne's properties, including Hawthorne house. Per the terms of her inheritance, which I will gladly go over, the current occupants have been granted tenancy unless—and until—they give her cause for removal." There was a pause. "Under no circumstances," Mr. Ortega looked over to Grayson. "Can those tenants attempt to remove you."

"Maybe I can't remove Avery, but no one said anything about you being aloud to stay." Grayson said, his words like bullets.

"I think your forgetting that this house and all the things in it now belong to my sister. I truly am sorry that your lovely grandfather disinherited you, but that really doesn't sound like mine or my sisters problem, so stop pouting and grow up." I stared Grayson down who looked like he had so many more things to say but decided against speaking them.

The room was so silent it was scary. I didn't know if it was mine and Grayson's argument that had made everyone go quiet, I assumed not. I could tell that Avery was scared and she had every right to be. For all we knew someone here could easily try to kill her.

"Oren!" Zara yelled at a man walking over to Avery. "You work for this family." Oren looked over to Zara then back to Avery.

"I worked for Mr. Hawthorne." He paused, looking over at Zara. "It was his last request that I continue in the employment of Ms. Avery Kylie Grambs security. You'll need it."

"And not just to protect you from us!" Xander cut in.

"Take a step back please." Oren demanded, steeping in front of Avery.

"Peace." Xander said, raising his hands. "I make dire predictions in peace!"

"Xan's right," This came from Jameson. "The entire world is gonna want a piece of you, Mystery girl." I hated how this boy already had a nickname for my sister. So much for keeping her heart locked up. "This has story of the century written all over it."

It seemed as if that sentence had really made Avery understand what was happening. She wasn't just some poor girl living in her car anymore. No, Avery was an Heiress.

...

This is still a very short and boring chapter even after I rewrote it 😅