20 - Final Goodbyes

Adelaide was gone. She was laid to rest on that very day. As her coffin was lowered into the ground, an outburst of tears occurred, leaving many reaching for tissues to dry their stinging eyes. As if harmonious with the setting, a swarm of crows soared through the air to the sturdy branches of a nearby tree. Their own subtle tribute to Adelaide's funeral.

The sight felt unreal as if I were hallucinating, my stomach doing summersaults as my eyes followed the casket. A door in my life had finally closed and a new one was ready to open, welcoming me with a warm embrace. I had did it. I had saved myself at the cost of another.

I was free, but not quite. I still had one more quest to accomplish.

Not only was I saying my last goodbyes to Adelaide, I was also saying my last goodbyes to the wicked community I found myself in. The dismal apartment I called home. The trauma lingering in the atmosphere. I could leave it all behind.

Italy would mend my broken soul and uplift my shattered spirits. I was sure of it. I knew it.

The following day was my very last day. My bags were packed, my flight was finalised. All I had to do was leave. Yet I found it to be so difficult; I found myself attached to my ragged little home. To drag out my time, I decided to switch every light on in my apartment - this way I could give each room a proper farewell as I went around switching each one off.

"Goodbye, bedroom." I gestured with my hand, waving as if it would notice. Shortly after pressing the switch, the room flooded with darkness.

I continued to repeat this process until I reached the very last light, which was located in the abnormally long hallway which lead to my door. "Goodbye, home. I'll miss you. Forever." I stated, creating a smile in the deceiving form of a frown.

That was it. I had gotten away with murder. I had survived years and years of the upmost torture and now I was free. Like a prisoner released from jail, I felt as though I had my life back in my own hands, rather than control landing in the wrong hands of another individual.

I did it, but I didn't have anyone to share my success with. Nobody even knew what I had accomplished. Nobody even knew the trauma I endured. Nobody even knew I murdered a woman! It really goes to show you how invisible I must be in society. Treated like an outcast, treated like I'm not even there. Just a ghost mingling in with the regular community.

I was done with it all. The game was finally over. Life was a game to Adelaide Briggs. I made sure it ended for her. I owned the board. Every single square.

Hubris gets you nowhere - don't bend rules, play fairly. If you don't? Well. You'll find out. It won't be you deciding your own fate, that's for sure. Those who believe they have the most power tend to be the weakest; they're fooling themselves.

Now, I encourage you to take my life as a warning. There are two interpretations, depending on whether you're like Adelaide or myself. However? I'll let you figure that out.

You carve your own destiny based on the actions you take and the choices you make. Play fair or play with fire - just be wary of the risks you're taking. Because sometimes?

Foul is fair.