04 - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Investigators took me in for brief questioning, first of all, as I had actually been the last person known to see her alive. Immediately, they found me suspicious due to this.

I was guided into a room, which appeared to be rather small, poorly decorated, and sparsely furnished. The walls were coated in layers of white paint that clearly hadn't been renewed for many years; it was chipped and tinted from age and neglect. Pushed up against the back wall stood an old, mahogany table with four black legs to support it. It appeared to be recently polished as not a trace of grime or dirt could be spotted, almost creating a reflective surface. The ground was accompanied by a grey carpet, which covered each corner of the room like a blanket. On the left side of the table, two chairs sat untucked and tilted inwards where two investigators sat. Opposite them was an empty chair, which had been reserved for me.

Calmly and quietly, I took my seat. And so it began.

Two men welcomed me and explained the purpose of the questioning that was about to occur. They emphasised how important it was for me to tell the truth and be honest with them, and that if I wasn't, they'd find out about it. In response, I nodded my head in agreement. I had a rough understanding of the questions I might've been asked, so I rehearsed my answers over and over to assure I had a believable storyline with no flaws.

"Adelaide was your girlfriend, if I am not mistaken, right?" the officer to my right questioned. Simple enough for a first question.

Indeed. Adelaide and I had been dating for 3 years, coming up 4 around the time she passed. Our love blossomed at a local bar I had gone to after a rather large family feud I had been tangled up in.

That was the last time I actually had contact with my parents when they were alive. Now they were both buried six feet under in another city, which I visited every year for a few days to pay my respects.

My father was a struggling alcoholic, who often dealt with horrid waves of depression that would come and go. As well as that, he also suffered from problems related to his anger; he often burst out into rage and took his issues out on my mother and I. He wasn't a lovable father, but I did feel sorry for him now and then. If only he would've looked through my set of eyes to see that the booze simply wasn't helping him get better or improve his life - it seemed to make every situation worse. I had given up trying to offer my love and support as he never seemed to want it or accept it. Instead, he'd ridicule me for my caring actions and from then on I learned to be silent.

My mother, just like my father, was now out of the picture. She was a manipulative and cunning woman, which conveyed to me how to become sly and deceitful. It guided me on the right path to get away with murder, so I suppose growing up in such a toxic household did me good in some way. She would often lie and get herself involved in many affairs whilst my father was away working; if I ever found out about her affairs, she encouraged me to stay quiet or else I'd 'be in for it' - a phrase I often heard. It only took one lesson for me to grasp the meaning of that phrase. A lesson I quite frankly wish I could forget.

To sum my family up? Incredibly messed up and beyond repair. And that was how I ended up at Atkinson's Bar that night I met Addy.

That night, drinking was my way of survival. Escaping my worries and problems, and praying to find the answers at the bottom of a glass. That was until I spotted a gorgeous woman making the dance floor her own. Her hips swayed to the beat and the vibrations of the music became a part of her energy. Her movements were so alluring and seductive, yet so carefree. It amazed me how her confidence seemed to radiate through the entire building and how my eyes seemed to glue to her body as she moved.

I fell in love with what I saw. That little, red tight dress that often rolled up as she paraded the floor with her bewitching steps, which exposed more of her legs. Her perfectly curled hair that elegantly swung from side to side as she danced. Even without heavy makeup, she was truly beautiful and unlike any girl I had ever seen before. We had made eye contact a few times as she noticed my gaze. I was obsessed.

If only I knew she was a devil in disguise. Maybe then I wouldn't have had to kill her. But I fell for her beauty, head first, and there was nobody to warn me of the malicious things she'd do to me. If only I knew.

"Yes, you have that correct, sir." I nodded to the question I had been asked. It was apparent to them I had zoned out, but luckily enough for me, they figured I was rather upset about the loss of my girlfriend.

"I know this is a difficult situation for you. Take your time, it's completely understandable." Once again, I nodded with a slight smile across my face.

"Thank you." I said gratefully.

"I need you to tell us your whereabouts within these last few days as we need a rough idea on who could've been around to commit this murder. Post-mortem changes suggest her body had been there for at least 3-5 days. So, where were you?" The officer to my left enquired with a stern face, completely changing the calm atmosphere within the room.

I had just the perfect lie. It was well-thought out and I had carried it out just as smoothly as it ran in my head.

I had planned ahead of time before the murder. First step to my plan was to hire a rental and drive that vehicle to a hidden spot past the gas station, going towards the city where my parents lay in their permanent slumber. I knew this way, any footage would show that I was indeed heading out towards the city. Then? I'd switch vehicles and make sure my face was hidden and drive back. The last step was to commit the murder. I had ticked every box with a believable alibi.

"As I usually do every year," I explained, "I drove out to go visit my parents in their resting places. They're not located here, so I always dedicate a few days of my time to go and visit them. When I left, Addy was still alive and being productive at work. Nothing seemed odd. Though we didn't text or call during the period I was away, I didn't think anything of it. I turn my mobile phone off for the whole journey and visit in general. I do it as respect for my parents."

The officers seemed to like my answer. It was very well said, smoothly delivered. However, my phone being powered off seemed to make them frustrated. I knew it would. This meant my location could not be tracked until the time I actually switched my phone back on. Genius.

"Sorry for your loss, sir," one of them stated, "Have you got any proof of your visit?"

Indeed.

"Well I visited a gas station for some fuel on my way, if that's any good to you?" I questioned sheepishly, acting as if what I had just said was useless information.

To simplify the rest of my questioning? It was mainly based on my feelings about all of this. How I was coping. I essentially rambled on about my 'undying love' for Adelaide Briggs the whole time, recalling different memories together and describing her striking appearance. I gained empathy from the two men, which is exactly what I had aimed for. Framing myself to be a victim in this whole story was my only goal, besides getting away with my heinous crime.

I walked out of that room with newly-found confidence. I was getting away with murder.