19 - Love Six Feet Under

A dismal parade of clouds and raging winds creeped into our community, leaving a trail of sorrow wherever it decided to conquer. Perhaps the sky began to cry in condolence for the young woman's resting day, ready to intertwine with salted tears and cause wet faces to drown in excessive despair. The sky even seemed to dress in dismal attire, cloaking its surroundings in a jet black covering, scaring away the sun's luminous beams. A palpable sense of loss flooded our town, causing many to be victim of its toxicity. Bare trees were forced to bow in respect due to the strong winds fighting through the very air that engulfed us. Even the solid earth beneath our feet seemed to become soft and tender, hurt that yet another hole had to be dug in the graveyard for someone so youthful.

Indeed, it was Adelaide Briggs' last day above the ground. The last memory anybody would ever create with her. Though she was dead, her spirit seemed to live on to those who were in their stage of grieving. They theorised that Heaven would have its gates wide open for her, however I knew Hell had a special place reserved already.

Before I set off to the burial, I adjusted my tie and dusted off my awfully tailored suit - it was way too short for me on my arms and seemed to be tight around my shoulder blades. Regardless, I wore it as I didn't exactly have another option. I needed to put my money towards something actually useful and a new suit for one occasion certainly wasn't my priority. In fact, it would be a crime against Adelaide's pride for fashion; she'd never let me go out looking so stupid! Therefore, it made me feel even better that, even at an event that revolved around her? I stole her thunder in some form. Power. Of course, I knew it was disrespectful of me, but it didn't stop me either. At least I wore black. How could she possibly complain?

I took a slow-paced wander to the graveyard, scratching the soles of my loafers on the cobbled path beneath me. My mind was blank. Empty. I felt nothing, which wasn't abnormal. However, my lack of expression could easily be disguised as sorrow, helping me fit into the masquerade of despondency I was about to be amongst. In some sense, I suppose I was glad that she was going to be buried; I'd never have to worry about her or her harmful threats and abuse ever again. I'd be able to break free from my cocoon and find my set of wings to guide me through the harmonies of a new life. I hoped that it would be a smooth sail.

By the time I arrived, my whole body was coated in rain, causing my hair to appear as if I had just showered. Sleekly, I ruffled it slightly to bring back at least an ounce of volume.

It didn't take long for familiar faces to show at the venue, all wearing the same stubborn frown. Her funeral was a celebration of her short life and the many accomplishments she had achieved, though of dry faces, there were none. Thankfully, the inconvenience of the rainfall quickly proved itself to be convenient; it helped me fit into the tearful setting.

A shooting sensation ran down my spine in shock as an older woman tapped me on the shoulder to grab my attention, "You look so lost, my dear." she noticed.

"It's just hard to comprehend, I guess." I began, crossing my arms, "I just don't feel like I'm ready to let her go. I just want to wake up from this goddamn awful nightmare."

"I know how tragic this must be for you. No young gentleman like you should have to undergo this kind of pain. It upsets me deeply that your fire had only started burning." the woman claimed, rubbing her palm across my shoulder blade comfortingly.

"I didn't think she'd leave me this soon." I sniffled slightly from the chilly environment, though she didn't know that was my reasoning.

"Nobody could've predicted it. Nobody saw it coming. But don't you dare blame yourself, ok? Promise me that."

"I promise. It's hard not to though. I feel as though... if I could go back in time? Maybe she'd still have been alive if I had stayed with her. But I didn't. And she..." I tried to explain before I got interrupted.

"I know. But it's not your fault. I'm incredibly sorry for your loss." she smiled slightly with the corners of her mouth.

What a sweet woman she was and I lied entirely to her face.

From the corner of my eye, I spotted Victor Briggs himself, Adelaide's father. It took a handful of courage, but I ended up approaching the devastated man.

"Hey, sir", I muttered.

"Hey, kid. You doing ok? Well... I suppose that was a rather silly question." he laughed with his breath rather quickly, his face barely changing expression. That man was evidently hurting.

That's the hardest thing about being a murderer. You bear the guilt of hurting innocent people who got to witness the bubbly side of Addy that I rarely did. I had taken away the life of a friend and a daughter, perhaps an inspiration to some. I had to live knowing I had shattered someone's world. It's not a good feeling at all. But I had to. If I didn't kill her? God knows what I would've done to myself or what she would've done to me.

"Missing her." I stated, fidgeting with my fingers.

"Me too. I should've been a better father to her." Victor confessed, sulking as the solemn words left his chapped lips.

"Don't say that. You tried your best. Always. I saw the effort you put in. She was definitely a daddy's girl." I smiled, gently punching his shoulder in a playful manner.

He smiled back slightly, looking me in the eyes, "You're a nice kid, you know that?"

"Thank you, sir." I sheepishly replied, my complexion growing red.

I'm the worst at receiving compliments. Growing up in such a toxic household has sculpted me to accept lack of affection, so when I receive it, it shocks my system.

"I've never hated you. But I've always been so insistent on the fact that Adelaide deserved someone of our class. You know... someone who could've treated her right? But you did well, kid. Proud of you for that." he claimed as he walked away.

"How rude..." I muttered to myself. What a backhanded compliment. I even tricked my brain into liking that man for a good few minutes... how foolish of me. People never change, no matter the circumstance. What a way to treat someone the day your daughter gets buried. Not even just someone! Her boyfriend! I scoffed and took myself away from that spot before the encounter irritated me further.

Despite the annoyance, I readjusted the detrimental mask I wore on my face, soothing the anger like a cold compress to a wound. "Let's hope not every wealthy person here is as two-faced..." I muttered to myself, releasing my last burst of anger.

Taking a step back from my surroundings, I decided to space out into the depths of my own mind. Somehow, I came across the question of 'will I love again?'. I pondered for quite some time, eventually deciding that, no, I wouldn't be giving love another shot. Everybody I've ever loved or everybody who should've loved me is dead. Six feet under the ground, unknown to the surface we walk on. I feel more secure alone than with the presence of another because I know I can trust myself and I won't get hurt. But people? People can be so incredibly misleading. I refuse to let someone walk into my life and catch me like a mouse victim to a trap. Not again. Truth is? I don't need anybody. Nobody at all.

Love is dead. Romance is outdated. Love is deceiving and a daunting game with the innocent mind.