10 - Power Of The Individual

The next morning, I woke up to unnecessarily loud pounding on my front door. Groggily, I got myself out of bed and headed towards it to silence the noise.

Opening the door, I was greeted by a whole team of officers. "The damn warrant..." I muttered in my head.

"Mind if we look around?" a familiar face questioned. It was Officer Wallace from the station.

"You're most welcome to, I want justice for my girl." I spoke, voice raspy from lack of sleep. I knew they wouldn't find a thing. I was sure of it.

Wherever I seemed to look in my cluttered and dark apartment, officers lurked, manically searching for evidence. It was incredibly difficult to keep a straight face as I found the whole ordeal a waste of time. As I said, there was nothing to find. Quite frankly, I just wanted to sit back and relax with a steaming hot caramel macchiato (my favourite hot beverage for any occasion). Whilst they searched, I waited patiently even though it bored me terribly.

After many long hours, I was finally approached by another familiar face, it was Adams, "Well, everything appears fine here."

Thank God. I was awaiting my well-deserved morning drink. "Brilliant, thank you."

Another success. Whenever I got away with a lie, my whole body tingled with excitement. I loved it. It felt incredible. Who knew being psychotic could be so fun? You always see introverts and freaks like me portrayed in a psychotic way in movies - now I understood what it felt like. Amazing. Being the outcast of society, for once, made me feel powerful.

Under Addy's wrath, I felt small (even standing at 6'2). I felt weak. As if all the life and fight had been drained from my body. She belittled me and treated me as if I were her little boy - manipulation at its finest. I'd get walked like a dog whenever I went out with her as she tugged my sleeves or gripped my wrists. I hated the feeling. Her pawn, as I've put it before.

In some sense, I felt sorry for the young-woman. Not the woman she died as, but the woman I fell in love with. The old Addy was sweet and bubbly and, overall, a pleasant girl to hang around with. She gave me butterflies and made me feel at home. We did everything together as a duo, formed a strong bond of trust and friendship. And when it escalated? I fell head over heels. Her kisses made my skin feel weak. She was my drug. God, I missed that side to her, but thank God she didn't get sent up there with him. Hell is what she deserved - eternal suffering.

"Polygraph soon, kid." Adams exclaimed, shaking me back to reality.

"Yes, okay. I'll be there, I'm willing." I stated, sounding somewhat puzzled as I stumbled on my words.

"Zone out again, or do you just like staring at him?" Wallace laughed, patting me on the shoulder. "I don't blame you, seen the guy?"

I laughed, playing along with their jokes, "Definitely a catch! I'm just joking, I zoned out. It keeps happening lately and I wish it'd stop."

"I know, it must be awful. Don't worry, we're all here to help you." Officer Adams reassured me, beaming widely. "Can't imagine the trauma you must be facing."

Oh, I was suffering, alright. Being trapped in an abusive and toxic relationship for years certainly traumatises you for life. Waking up from night terrors, screaming at the thought of her within an inch of my body. I was scared to death of her. I'm just glad I killed her before she pressured me to propose.

"Hey, you're busy batting your lashes at Adams when you haven't even seen McBeth!" Officer Wallace joked, pointing at a rather shy and small male exiting through the door.

See, this is exactly what I needed. A relationship with the officers. If they knew me on a more personal level instead of just a monotoned, serious way? They'd be bound to trust me even more.

Once again, I let out a hearty laugh and said my goodbyes as they left my apartment.