11 - An Unlikely Encounter

Outside it was wet and miserable. Rain cascaded down over our community in buckets and clouds lingered in the sky, creating a sense of doom wherever they drifted.

Casually, I strolled to my local shop to purchase myself a pack of cigarettes, dragging my feet through the dismal puddles laying across the pavement. It reminded me of the riverside and how slowly I dragged my boots through the water. Now instilled with a sense of familiarity, I held my head a little higher, comfortable in my surroundings.

"Hey!" a voice shouted, bellowing up the street.

Reluctantly, I span around to face the mysterious entity. To my misfortune, it was way too foggy to get a good look at the person approaching me.

They seemed of an average build - their body type firmly sitting in the middle of the spectrum. I could tell it was a woman as her hair bounced against her shoulders as she walked. As she got closer, I recognised her face.

Eleanor Marie Briggs.

Oh, what a sighting she was. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself quietly as she approached me.

"Do you understand how much I'm going through right now, boy?" she snapped, yanking my shirt and pulling me closer.

"I do understand, Mrs. Briggs. I'm experiencing the same heartache." I replied, sulking with a frown, slightly picking my head up to meet her gaze.

"Why'd you kill her?" she gnarled, gritting her teeth at me like a vicious dog. "I know it was you. You just... look like a murderer!"

I pulled a face at her comment, "I don't care what I look like, it's not like I'm getting casted in a horror movie. This is reality, Mrs. Briggs! My girlfriend is gone and for you to be placing the blame on me really hurts my feelings."

What feelings? I have no clue. I felt nothing. But arguing with a Briggs is comedic and so I argued my point.

"You're a horrendous liar." she claimed, slamming her fists into my chest.

"So that's where Adelaide got that from..." I thought to myself, stumbling back after the hit. "Well, it's a good thing I'm not lying then. You do realise if I tip authorities off about our little interaction, I could easily get you thrown in a cell, right?" I explained, looking at her with a brow raised.

As she usually did, she scoffed at my remark and left a firm slap on my right cheek, "You'll do no such thing. You've done enough."

"You're abusing me." I observed with a serious tone. "I have right to report that."

"You keep your mouth quiet. You talk too much." she insisted, looking me up and down like a typical mean girl in a teen-drama movie. Whilst adjusting her glasses to the bridge of her nose, she barged passed me and injured my shoulder during the collision.

"Watch it!" I yelled, hand latching straight to my injury to support it. "Drama queen..." I uttered as I continued my morning stroll.

"Shut up!" Eleanor shouted back, turning around and walking backwards as she did so.

"Off to see your new boyfriend?" I laughed heartily, chest fully devoting to the humour.

"Shut up!" she insisted once again, now disappearing in the fog.

Annoying her was too hard to resist. I could wind that woman up like a toy. It was too easy and way too enjoyable.

Soon enough, I arrived at my destination. As per usual, as I entered, the little bell above the door rang merrily, alerting the owner of my visit.

"Still around?" the woman behind the register questioned, smiling at me as she normally did.

"Yeah, for now I suppose." I replied, kicking my feet against the ground. "I'm a murder suspect after all."

The woman nodded her head and shyly admitted that she had saw via the news. "I actually wasn't so sure I'd ever see your face in here again."

"Need my dose of nicotine at the minute. Times are stressful, y'know?" I explained, smiling faintly at her. "Told myself I wouldn't smoke again, but here we are."

"You were doing so well. So well that I can't even remember your regulars!" she added, giggling slightly, hinting at me to answer.

"Marlboro, like your every other average American." I replied in a cheeky tone.

The woman behind the counter, Christine, was like my only friend around town. Adelaide made me cut off all my friends and any time without her was forbidden. She never found out about my regular chats with Christine as I knew very well that she wouldn't approve - plus I'd pay for it once I visited her house.

"How're you holding up?" she asked whilst scanning my pack.

"Could be better, could be worse. Just missing her like mad." I responded, brushing my hand through my hair. "You?"

"Me? Honey, it's you who's suffering, not me."

God, I was so awkward. I've never been good with socialising. I must've seemed like such an alien to everybody. Addy could also be put at fault for my lack of skill - she never let me look at anybody else, never mind talk to them.

"Right..." I realised, slightly blushing a crimson red. Even with my tanned complexion, my cheeks were always visibly ruddy whenever I embarrassed myself.

Christine giggled and told me not to worry about it as she handed me my cigarettes. The last words I said were 'Thank you." and the bell chimed once again.

My journey home was spent withholding masses of laughter.