12 - Don't Lie To Me

Polygraphs - often used to account and detect changes in psychological characteristics. In simpler terms, they can be used as a lie detector because heart rate and breathing effects the outcome. Now, they're never one hundred percent accurate; it is possible to lie and pass the test, which I hoped I'd manage. Authorities advise top-suspects to take these tests in order to get a brief overview on their involvement within the crime they are investigating. Eleanor, Victor and I were all advised to take it, along with Adelaide's assistant, Byron.

The day had come to face the wrath of a polygraph. I feared it greatly, but I knew I couldn't. Fear would catch me out - I had to stay calm.

That morning, I made sure to stay away from nicotine and caffeine in case they had a negative influence on my results. I needed it to go perfectly, and so I practiced my breathing, inhaling and exhaling deeply and slowly. When asked questions, I knew I had to be clear with my responses, avoiding any stumbling and antisocial body language. As I said, it had to be perfect. I had to be perfect.

If I messed up slightly, I wasn't too worried about it as I knew Adelaide's assistant would be an absolute catastrophe. Byron Lewis never performed well under pressure, so I had estimated his test to look somewhat concerning. He was a shy young-man; he struggled with social anxiety and any form of socialising in general. Speaking to officers would certainly be challenging to him and I expected his words and actions to appear rather peculiar. Plus, officers learned by word of mouth that Adelaide mistreated him, creating a motive. Revenge. As much as I did feel sorry for Byron... I was glad his inability to speak was going to benefit me. Ideally, I wanted the Briggs' to be framed for my crime, but I wasn't so bothered if Byron went down for it. As long as I roamed free, I didn't care.

When I arrived at the station, an officer I hadn't seen before guided me over to begin my test. I remained calm and tried to think about peaceful thoughts to ease my unsteady mind. Sitting down on the chair, I took a deep breath and observed the machine before me.

Rather quickly, I noticed the machine had many different mechanics. Two patches that were applied to the palm of my hand were electrodermal sensors, which were used to pick up sweat gland activity. This meant if my palms began to sweat, they'd know about it - an indication of a liar. A strange attachment was also applied to my finger, which had the purpose of monitoring my pulse and pointing out any relative changes. It was tight around my finger and I felt it rush cold from the pressure. A cardiovascular blood pressure cuff was also applied to my upper-arm to detect my pulse strength and mean blood pressure; this was also relatively uncomfortable on my body due to the tightness - a common theme. To be quite honest? The other accessories were a mystery to me, one applied at my abdomen and one applied somewhere on my lower-stomach.

I had knowledge on how to fool these tests. Not by searching it, obviously, but by reading within my many true-crime novels. By tricking my mind to think of peaceful things whilst answering could actually help me defeat the lie detector. Of course, I was willing to test the theory.

"Alright, are you ready?" an older man questioned, sitting behind a desk and placing his hand on his computer.

"I am." I answered confidently.

"Were you in love with Adelaide Briggs?"

Of course I was. Even after the abuse, of course I was. I loved her so much and it was a shame she had to die. But she chose her fate by carving out the wrong path.

"Yes." I replied, keeping a straight face.

"Was it a healthy relationship?" he enquired, eyes focused on the screen.

At the beginning, yes. And that's all I thought about: memories we shared, the photos we took, the land we roamed. I missed it. I really did.

The rest of the test was just looking into my background - personal questions about the likes of substance abuse, financial information and my employment background. At some stages, I was asked about my criminal background and if I had ever abused Adelaide, mentally or physically. The test took around four hours, not including short breaks in between. It was insanely exhausting and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

My last question was the most significant.

"Did you kill Adelaide Briggs?"

To which, I responded no.

As the equipment was detached from my body, I began to worry slightly - had it gone to plan? Or was this my last few moments of freedom?