Chapter Forty-Four

Meanwhile back at the castle, earlier that morning, no one had seen one trace of Charlotte which was very odd to Vagatha because between the two of them, Charlotte had always been the early riser. When her sister wasn't at breakfast, she went to the princess's bedroom and knocked on the door.

"Charlotte?" She called. "Charlotte? Are you here?"

No answer. She opened the door and stepped inside. The room was completely empty. Not even Eli was there, strange. Now why would Charlotte and her cat both be missing?

"Is everything alright in here?" Vagatha turned around to find Niffty standing in the doorway. "Begging your pardon, you may not know me-"

"You're Charlotte's nurse. I remember you." Vagatha said. "I thought you had left this place."

"No I was demoted to serving meals to prisoners and the jailer."

"So what are you doing up here?"

"With all due respect, you didn't really think I wouldn't try to see the girl I've nurtured from the time she was in diapers, did you?"

"Oh right. Sorry."

"I was coming up to ask her how things went at the ball. But I see she's not here."

"She wasn't at breakfast either, and her cat is gone too."

"Well I'm no expert on felines, but don't cats have a habit of hiding and sneaking about?"

"Not in the morning. At least not for this cat. Eli doesn't move an inch in the morning if he can help it. Only time he'd ever not be snoozing on a pillow at this time is if Charlottehad left or had taken him somwhere. But why would she take him anywhere in here?"

"Maybe the poor kitty became restless and wanted some space?"

"Not likely. Cats aren't like dogs, they can usually be content staying in one place for days."

"Maybe he was sick and she went to get him looked at?"

"Maybe."

Vagatha then noticed something on Charlotte's vanity. It was a letter addressed to her. She picked up the letter, opened the envelope, and read the message inside.

"Dearest Vagatha." She read outloud. "I refuse to accept that my father has perished. I am certain that he is still alive, so I've decided to go find him?!"

"Go find him? You mean she's run away?" Niffty asked getting nervous. "And what does she mean by, her father perishing? The king's not dead. Is he?"

"Please do not look for me. This is something I must do myself as the future heir to the throne." Vagatha continued reading. "I cannot say when I shall return, I'm not even sure if I will return. I simply cannot remain here, knowing my father is out there. He needs me and I must go to him. I wish you the best, Vagatha. Sincerely Charlotte."

"What in God's name is going on here?" Niffty asked. "What happened at the ball last night?"

"Mother recieved a late message saying that the king was killed in battle and Charlotte didn't take it well." Vagatha explained. "She was so sure that there had to be mistake and that he was still alive."

"So sure that she'd go off and look for him on her own?"

"And not tell me?" Vagatha wondered. "Something isn't right here. She would have told me about this before leaving and she wouldn't have brought Eli with her. She knows he'd be better cared for here then out there. She would have asked me to take care of him while she was gone."

"Could the letter be forged?"

"I don't know. The print is just like hers but, what this letter says just doesn't add up. And where exactly would she start looking? She doesn't even know where her father was last seen. If she really did leave to look for him, she would have done research first."

A Grim Fairy Tale On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara