Chapter Twenty

Charlotte softly grasped Vagatha's hand as the two girls watched the royal coach depart from the cottage. She could tell by the girl's longing hazel eyes that Vagatha desperately didn't want her mother to go. Raphael could also sense his mistress's distress which was why he slowly came up next to her and licked her other hand. Even Alastor felt sorry for her.

"Don't worry Vagatha." Charlotte told her reassuringly. "As soon as my father returns from the crusades, we'll all live together as one big happy family."

Vagatha smiled and gave her sister a hug who returned the same gesture of affection.

"Thank you Charlotte." She said. "Do you think that maybe Granny could come live with us in the castle?"

"Of course. Once I tell Papa how she took care of us, he'll insist."

"Are you sure? He wouldn't see her as an embarrassment, would he?"

"I should say not. What would give you the idea that he would?"

"Because that's what Mother says. She says that a royal castle is no place for a senile old woman. She's certain that Granny would only bring shame to the royal family."

"With all due respect." Alastor interjected politely. "If anyone in this family is capable of bringing shame, it would be that miserable shrew that you call Mother."

"What are you doing here?" Vagatha asked, irritated.

"You forget, Charlotte and I are friends. Which means I am welcome to visit her. With her kind permission of course."

"Oh, right." Vagatha turned to Charlotte. "Why are you friends with him again?"

"Vagatha be nice."

Vagatha began to whisper into Charlotte's ear.

"I'm sorry. I know he's your friend and that you want to be kind to him but to tell you the truth, I don't like him."

"Well that's perfectly fine Miss Vagatha because I'm not too fond of you myself." Alastor said.

"What the- How did you-"

"Don't bother to whisper in my presence. My hearing is exquisite and far surpasses yours. That also applies to my sight, smell, and manners."

"Alright that's enough conflict for one day." Charlotte said. "Let's make this afternoon a happy one. Why don't we go play into the forest? It's not so very cold today, the snow has finally melted, Spring should be here soon."

The other children answered her with quiet smiles and she took each of them by the hand, leading them into the part of the woods that was safe for children to play in because it was near where wood cutters worked. Together the three of them played chasing games, climbed trees, skipped rocks across the creek, and went looking for birds, rabbits, and squirrels to watch. Although Alastor did try to eat a few of them once or twice.

"Faster! Faster!" Charlotte laughed as Alastor ran about, carrying her on his back.

"As you wish." Alastor replied with a grin.

"You're so strong Alastor." She commented. "At least I hope you are. If you're getting tired then you can put me down."

"You need not worry about me fair Princess for I am but your humble steed. Give the order and I shall do as you command."

"Flatterer." Vagatha mumbled.

"Would you like a ride next Vagatha?" Charlotte asked.

"No thank you." Vagatha responded. "Besides I don't think Alastor would enjoy carrying me very much."