Chapter Twenty-Eight

The messenger had asked the queen if her mother could come to the castle along with her daughter and stepdaughter, but just as Dolores predicted, the queen wanted no such thing. This worried Dolores. She suspected that the girls would not be safe in Desdemona's presence without her, but she couldn't just defy an order from the queen. All she could do for now is trust that Charlotte and Vagatha would be able to take care of themselves and that someone would be there to help them. Nevertheless that didn't mean she couldn't give one of them a small insurance.

"I'm not sure if your mother will be pleased with you bringing Raphael along." Dolores said. helping her granddaughter finish packing her bags. "There are only certain creatures she tolerates."

"Raphael won't cause any trouble." Vagatha said. "He knows how to behave." 

"But he doesn't like your mother. In fact neither your pet or Charlotte's like your mother, though it's not like they don't have good reason to dislike her."

"If I tell you Raphael not to bother Mother then he won't bother her. He's completely obedient to me."

"Not to mention loyal and protective." Dolores realized. "Perhaps it is a good thing you're bringing him along."

Dolores then briefly left the bedroom to retrieve something she had hidden beneath the floors of the cottage. It was a medium box made from wood that she had been saving for quite sometime.

"What's that Granny?" Vagatha asked.

"Something I've been meaning to give to you at just the right moment."

She placed the box into Vagatha's hands. She lifted the lid and inside there lay a finely crafted dagger in which the blade was made from pure gold.

"It was your father's." She said. "He made it himself and he intended to sell it one day in order to secure a dowry for you. He had the dagger on him the night he was killed and before he died, he told me to keep the dagger in the family no matter what because he had discovered that the  wolf was vulnerable to that weapon."

"How so?"

"I don't know but I believe that it would be in your best interest to keep this dagger with you. Don't lose it and don't sell it for anything."

"I won't. I promise."

"And should something happen, you are always welcome to come back here."

"I know."

"Remember what I taught you. Stick to the path, be wary of all creatures and people, no when the right time is to fight and to retreat, and for Heaven's sake please keep your temper under control."

"Yes Granny. I'll do all those things."

Dolores then pulled Vagatha close and hugged her tight. Her granddaughter returned the gesture of affection. Neither one of the women ready to say goodbye.

"You're not a bud anymore." The old woman said bittersweetly. "You're a fully blossomed rose now and it's time that whole world see that. I'm so proud of woman you've become Vagatha."

"Do you really mean that?"

"You know I do."

"I love you so much Granny. You've done everything for me and I wouldn't be who I am now without you."

"I love you too Vagatha and there's nothing I wouldn't sacrifice for you."

Dolores tearfully kissed Vagatha's cheeks and forehead. Then they heard sound of the horse drawn coach coming near. The old woman and two maidens greeted the coachman and the guards politely and the gentlemen in turn helped get the bags and pets of the maidens into the coach. Before leaving Vagatha and Charlotte shared one last farewell with Dolores.