Chapter Twenty-Seven

Charlotte could barely control the rate of how her heart fluttered when she heard the messenger's words.

"After many years of bloodshed and sorrow." He read off of the scroll. "The crusades have at long last ended, with Germany and their allies being victorious. King Percival's arrival is expected to be within two days and her majesty the queen intends to hold a royal ball to celebrate his return. She has also invited the Princess Charlotte and the Princess Vagatha to once again call the palace their home."

Charlotte was overjoyed, Vagatha was uncertain what to think, and Dolores was suspicious.

"Do we have to go back to the palace?" Vagatha asked.

"It is what the queen has ordered." He answered. "You cannot defy her."

"What of me?" Dolores asked. "Am I permitted to accompany the girls?"

"Her majesty did not say. The royal coach shall come for you tomorrow afternoon. Please be ready." He then produced a letter. "Your highness this was addressed to you from the king."

He gave Charlotte the letter and bowed.

"I bid you all a good evening."

"Would you like to stay the night?" Dolores offered. "It is awfully late."

"No thank you my dear woman." He declined politely. "I must continue to inform other residents of these grand news."

He bowed again, the three women curtsied, and he left. 

"Oh isn't it wonderful? The war is finally over." Charlotte cheered. "Father is coming home at last." 

"I am relieved and grateful that my stepfather will return alive and unharmed." Vagatha said. "He is a good man and I know you've missed him terribly."

"You sound somewhat disappointed." 

"As I said I am happy that your father is coming back, and I am eager to see my mother but...Charlotte I don't want to go back to the castle or to the royal life. I don't really fit in with all that. I'd much prefer to stay here."

"I'm afraid your mother won't allow that." Dolores said. "If she wants you at the castle you'll have to go."

"But Granny you know how I feel about royalty." She argued.

"And you know how your mother feels when she doesn't get her way. It's what she wants and nothing else matters. There's no reasoning or compromising with her."

"Can't you talk to her?"

"Oh Vagatha, you know better than anyone that my words have never gotten through to your mother.  As far she's concerned I'm just a stupid old woman who's talking out of her head."

"Why is Desdemona so disrespectful toward you?" Charlotte said.

"Yeah Granny, for as long as I can remember you and Mother have never gotten along." Vagatha said. 

Dolores sighed.

"Well Vagatha, it's no secret that your grandfather was not a loving parent to your mother. For many years he treated her terribly and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't protect her from his abuse. It made her so angry and hate-filled, when your grandfather finally died she began taking out her anger and hate for him on anyone she did not fear. Mostly me."

"Oh Granny." Vagatha embraced her compassionately. "I never knew that. Oh how could Mother be so cruel to you?"

"Perhaps she is right to be. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough to protect her."

"I don't believe that Granny. I know that you would do anything in your power to protect the people you love. But what I don't understand is, why didn't you take Mother and leave Grandfather?"