Chapter Four

"Presenting Lady Desdemona and her daughter Vagatha." Announced the royal herald when the coach arrived at the castle gates.

Servants and palace guards gathered around the coach but at the front stood Percival and Charlotte. The king was most eager but his daughter was terribly anxious.

When the coach door opened, the king took his intended by the hand and assisted her in stepping out. The entire crowd was awed and left speechless by Desdemona's beauty. They never thought that there would be any woman as beautiful as the first queen but today they were proven wrong.

"Welcome my beloved." He said placing a kiss on to the hand held. "You look even more radiant than I remember."

"You are too kind my lord." She replied. 

"The trip was no hassle I trust?"

"None at all." She looked up upon the castle. "What a delightful abode my lord. It was more magnificent than I could have ever dreamed of."

"It is your home now my lady. A home for us to share with each other and our children."

Percival then made subtle usher for his daughter to come forward and greet his fiancé.

"Allow me to present the fairest jewel in my kingdom, my daughter Charlotte." He introduced. "Dearest this is Desdemona. My bride to be."

The woman and the girl both took a momenttosilently examine the other's appearance.

"Why is her skin brown?" The child asked.

"Charlotte!" Her father scolded. "That is not a very polite thing to say."

"I am not offended my love." Desdemona said. "She is only young and unfamiliar with people like me. I know she means no malice."

She flashed a smile at Charlotte.

"My skin differs from yours child because though I was born in this country, my mother and ancestors were not. They originated from a land quite far from here, a place called Romania. A beautiful place but one of great struggle. Years ago my mother traveled here in order to establish a better life for herself and her future family."

"Did she?" Charlotte asked.

"In a sense. For if she had never come here I would have never met your wonderful father or you. And I must say that I'm very pleased to finally meet you Charlotte." She turned back to Percival. "And speaking of a future family, I would now like for you all to meet my daughter Vagatha."

The young girl approached the king and princess, greeting them with a curtsy.

"I do believe that she is about the same age as your daughter Percival, so I am hopeful that they will be good friends and perhaps in time sisters."

"I couldn't agree more. Charlotte say hello to Vagatha."

Charlotte walked up to her future stepsister and grabbed the skirt of her dress to curtsy for her. But when she tipped downward, she accidentally stepped into a large puddle and splashed mud on to Vagatha.

"Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry!" She said immediately remorseful.

"Liar! You did that on purpose!" Vagatha snapped. "How dare you!"

"It was an accident! I-"

But Vagatha just took a handful of mud from that puddle and threw it right back at Charlotte. Charlotte retaliated by pushing Vagatha down into the puddle. Then Vagatha stood up and tackled Charlotte causing them both to fall into the puddle and muddy brawl to break out.