Chapter Seven

Charlotte smiled down at the illustrated picture in her storybook. It portrayed a handsome prince and beautiful princess, standing hand in hand at their royal wedding. They looked so happy together. Like nothing bad could ever happen to them again. It made her wonder if this was how her father and mother looked on their wedding day. If she herself would appear this way when she married.

Being the daughter of a king, it was to be expected that she would someday marry. It was also expected that her father most likely be the one to pick her husband. She only hoped that the man she was to wed would be the kind of man she dreamed about. Someone courageous,  clever, and caring like the men in her storybooks. Someone who would love her, protect her, and support her. Someone who can encourage her to be a good queen when the time came for her to succeed her father.

Speaking of which, at that moment  the good king entered the girl's chambers to kiss her goodnight like he always did every evening.

"My little Princess." He said. "I can't get over how beautiful you are. Even though you're still just a child. When you reach womanhood, I'm certain that you'll be the loveliest thing in all the world. Thousands of men will want your hand but I'll only deem a prince worthy enough to become your husband."

"But Papa what if I don't fall in love with a prince? What if I fall in love with someone who's not a prince?"

"Then he'll have to act like a prince in order to earn my blessing. Be noble, respectful, and honorable. Although I am secretly hoping to marry you to the prince of Poland."

"Why him?"

"Well he's just about the same age as you, he has been said to be very charming and good-looking. Not to mention a union between Germany and Poland would be most grand. But will discuss those matters much later. Now you must rest and tomorrow I have a very special treat for you."

"What is it?"

"Tomorrow morning I shall be take you out riding with me to see the kingdom. Would you like that?"

"Oh yes Papa! Yes!" She exclaimed with excitement.

"Then you'd better go to sleep. Because the sooner you go to sleep, the sooner tomorrow will come."

"Alright. Goodnight Papa. I love you."

"Goodnight Charlotte. I love you too."

He kissed his daughter's cheeks, placed Eli at the foot of her bed so he could curl up next to her, snuffed out the light, and left her bedroom while gently closing the door behind him. When he turned around he noticed a pair of eyes watching from a distance. Those eyes belonged to Vagatha who had been spying on the king and his daughter.

"Why Vagatha what are you doing still out of bed?" He asked her kindly. "It's awfully late you know."

"I'm sorry." She said. "Forgive me Stepfather. I shall return to my chambers."

"Now wait just a moment." He protested in a gentle manner. "There must be some reason you're still awake. Is something bothering you?"

"It's nothing. I just...I heard the maid say that you like to tuck the princess into bed. I wanted to watch you because my papa used to tuck me into bed."

"I see. You really miss your father don't you? Your mother told me how close you two were."

"We were." She sighed. "But now he's gone."

 He gave her a sympathetic look.

"Tomorrow Charlotte and myself plan to go riding throughout the kingdom. Would you like to join us?"