Chapter Twenty-Three

Desdemona slowly savored each bite of her meal which disgusted her servants but they were wise to keep their revulsion hidden. The reason why her dining repulsed them so was because she was consuming the salted liver and lungs of a young woman. You see some of her witch ancestors would regain their lost youth by cannibalizing beautiful young women and then reciting the ancient chant in front of their sacred mirror. When Desdemona discovered the spell she began capturing young and fair women, devouring their organs in order to retain her great beauty. That's how she still appeared as young as she was on her wedding day. Though the effects of the spell were temporary and had to be renewed, unless she was to consume the heart of the most beautiful woman in the world. Then the spell would be permanent. She would be eternally young and fair.

"Flesh of thy maiden grant me her youth." She spoke the chant in front of the looking glass. "Blood of thy maiden grant me her beauty. Death of thy maiden grant me her life."

At once the mirror secreted a mist that surrounded Desdemona, causing the wrinkles on her face to fade and the few grey strands to return to their original black color.

"That's much better." She said admiring her rejuvenated reflection.

Her reflection then changed to the image of the spirit of her bloodline.

"Aren't you getting a little tired of this?"

"I admit it is a difficult process." Desdemona said. "Especially when those women struggle and the guards let their conscience get in the way but it's all worth it to keep my beauty."

"Your false beauty that is."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I take it you didn't read the side effects of that spell. There is reason your ancestors discontinued the use of that particular spell."

"Which is?"

"While the spell itself renews your youth, establishing an illusory form that is even more beautiful than you could possibly imagine, it causes your true form to become even more old and hideous. Meaning when the time comes for you to stop this process you'll gradually change into a very unsightly figure."

"Then it's best that I never stop then."

"And how long do you suppose it will be until the entire kingdom discovers your little secret? You can't just keep abducting and killing women, and assume that no one will try to look into it. Not to mention what the king will think when he learns of this."

"My husband will never know of this. How could he possibly know of it? He is fighting in the crusades."

"Not anymore. Bad news for you I fear, the crusades have ended."

"What?!"

"Well you didn't expect them to just last forever did you? Every war ends eventually."

"And King Percival still lives?"

"He lives and he shall return within a week's time."

"No! He can't return! He'll ruin everything! Does anyone else in the kingdom know of this?"

"Not yet but word has been sent. The kingdom should know by tomorrow morning and I really do not wish to put more stress on you but will be expecting to see his daughter at the castle. In fact lots of people will be expecting to see the Princess Charlotte. They've been asking why she's never seen in public and what with the crusades being over, you no longer have an excuse to keep her in the forest."