Chapter Eighteen

For the next hour, Alastor and Charlotte just sat in that spot and talked to each other. Trying to soothe Charlotte's sadness over what had just occurred between her and her stepmother. It seemed to work very well, especially when Charlotte began to tell Alastor about the life she lived before coming here. She told him about her father, about Niffty, about the beautiful castle and gardens, about all the grand parties and balls that she attended. Her stories proved to be quite entertaining to Alastor. Even more so when he saw how it brought a smile to her face.

Alastor never liked sad faces. He knew life was hard but he believed that being sad only made life even harder. So the best way to deal with the hard times was to keep on smiling. That's how he coped with all the terrible things that had happed to him.

"Do you think that you'll ever go back to the castle?" Alastor asked her.

"I'm certain that I will when my father returns from the crusades."

"But suppose he does not return?"

"Pray I do not wish to even think such a thing." She answered in a voice full of fear.

"Forgive me my lady, I did not mean to upset you. I just hope that you are not ever left alone with that stepmother of yours."

"I won't be. I'm sure of that. I'll either be with my father or here with Vagatha or maybe..." She trailed off as she took a moment to wonder.

"Or maybe what?" He asked.

"Well sometimes I secretly dream that one day an honorable man with kind eyes will find me and we'll get married."

Alastor burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?" She asked, not at all amused by him finding humor in her dreams.

"I'm sorry to shatter your dreams princess but the idea of such a gentlemen finding you here is laughable."

"And pray, tell why is that?"

"Because the only men around here are thieves, scoundrels, blackmailers. Fellows who are far from the attributes of honor and kindness. You would have better luck marrying a bear than the kind of a man you dream about."

"Oh ha-ha." She said now irritated. "And here I thought you were a perfect gentleman. But no true gentleman makes fun of a lady's dream."

"A true gentleman also doesn't lie or deceive a lady. I couldn't pretend to believe in such nonsense for that would be a lie."

"You know Vagatha didn't think it was possible either but at least she didn't laugh at me."

"Oh really? Perhaps she's not as ill-mannered as I thought."

Charlotte glared at him.

"I'm truly sorry Charlotte. I don't mean to make fun of you. Really I don't. It's just that I often try to make everything humorous. Even when it's not supposed to be. Smiles and laughter is pretty much how I get through life."

"Still how would you like it if I laughed at your dreams?"

"I can't say for certain. I don't have any dreams. Only nightmares."

Charlotte's gaze quickly turned soft.

"What kind of nightmares?" She asked him in a sympathetic tone.

"I'd rather not say." Alastor's hand slowly went up to his back, feeling something that was there. "It's not important."

"I understand." She nodded. "But if you do ever want to talk about it, I promise to listen with no judgement. You'll never have to be afraid or ashamed to tell me anything."