Chapter Forty-One

"Moxxie, Millie, I wanna thank you both for your instant kindness toward Charlotte." Alastor said. "I know human beings haven't always been the most polite to you but, I promise you that Charlotte is someone who will always be respectful and compassionate to anyone."

"I believe you dear." Millie said putting the kettle on. "But before we offically allow this young lady to stay, we must discuss a few things."

"Such as?"

"For starters, who is she?" Moxxie said.

"What do you mean? You all know who she is."

"The only thing we know about her is that she's your friend."

"And apparently comes from the castle." Blitzo added. "Now what are the odds of a peasant girl coming from a castle?"

"Slim but not impossible." Alastor said.

"Alastor." Millie said sternly. "Tell us the truth."

"Well..." Alastor said nervously. "It's not for me to tell."

"Talk or we throw her out." Blitzo said.

Millie thumped Blitzo on the head for that comment.

"Ow!"

"What he means is." Millie said. "We wouldn't really feel comfortable allowing someone to stay here unless we know exactly who they are. That's reasonable, don't you think?"

"Very much so." Alastor admitted. "I only hope Charlotte doesn't mind me breaking a promise."

"She'll have to if she wants to stay here." Blitzo said. 

"Okay it's like this. You all are aware that King Percival has a daughter, yes?"

"Of course." Millie said.

"Well you just met her."

There was a brief silence as the three alps stared at Alastor in shock

"You mean that maiden is the royal princess of Germany?" Moxxie asked.

"Yes." Alastor said.

"Oh come on Alastor, how dumb do you think we are?" Blitzo said.

"It's true." 

"But that can't be possible." Moxxie said. "She grew up in the forest, raised by a peasant. How could she possibly be the princess?"

"The queen sent her and her stepsister to live with Dolores until the war was over. She claimed it was to keep them safe from enemy spies or something like that. I never believed it personally and neither did Charlotte."

"Well if she is truly the princess, I guess that would explain the assassination attempt. Let me guess, venegeful turks?"

"More like a deranged stepmother. We're positive it's the queen who wants her dead."

"Why?"

"We don't know. But that woman has felt nothing but hatred toward Charlotte ever since she was a child. And I willing to bet everything I have that she's a witch. I've seen the twinge her eyes, the one you always warned me about Moxxie."

"I have heard rumors about the queen practicing witchcraft." Moxxie said.

"So now we know who she is and why can't go home." Millie said. "Now I'd like you tell us mpre about the assassin." 

"I told you all that I know. He's an alp who can turn into a wolf. There's nothing more to say."

"Are you sure? Did he say anything to you?"