Chapter Nineteen

Desdemona was still at the cottage when Charlotte returned but Dolores and Vagatha were also there so the fair-skinned girl had nothing to fear. However Alastor felt it best that he remain out of sight until the queen left. He was certain that she had not seen him throw the rock at her face but he still didn't want to take the risk of her recognizing him. He didn't know much about royalty but he knew that assaulting the queen, even in defense was punishable by death.

"Here Mother, this should make you feel better." Vagatha said handing her a cloth that had been soaked in water.

"Thank you dear." The side of her face bore a nasty cut which had been bleeding early but by now the blood had clotted. "But what I really need is a mirror. Would you please fetch me one?"

"Yes Mother." She said quickly moving to do as she was told.

"I still don't understand what happened." Dolores said. "You were attacked by robbers yet nothing was stolen."

"I already told you, the guards chased them away before they could commit the theft. Their plan was to knock me out and steal my silken gown, robe, and jewels from my unconscious body. Oh the dangers of being royal."

"Speaking of royalty, where is Charlotte? I last saw her in her room and when we came back I assumed she was still there. But she's not. She's gone."

"She was frightened by the robbers and ran off into the woods."

"Alone? You allowed a seven year old girl to go into the forest by herself? Don't you know how dangerous that is?"

"What could I do? I was being attacked."

"Well why not send the guards to look for her?"

"They were protecting me."

"You brought two guards with you. Surely one could have stayed and protected you while the other went to look for Charlotte. My goodness, anything could happen to her out there. There are wolves and bears and robbers apparently."

"Don't be so melodramatic Mother. She'll probably find her way back here safely."

"Desdemona I know you're not exactly fond of your stepdaughter but I would still be a little more concerned about her if I were you."

"Why is that?"

"Need I remind you that she is the daughter of the king, the only person who is superior to you and if I'm not mistaken he's entrusted you with his child's care. So if anything happens to Charlotte you will most likely be held accountable by your husband when he returns."

"You mean if he returns. He's away at war, remember? There's a good chance he won't come back."

"And there's a good chance he will come back and if he comes back to find his child gone he will not be pleased."

"Ugh, must you always badger me Mother?"

"Excuse me for wanting to prevent my daughter from getting burned at the stake, because that's exactly what'll happen to you if the king holds you responsible for any ill fate that could befall the princess."

"You need not worry about me Dolores." On cue, Charlotte opened the door and stepped inside the house. "I'm alright. Nothing happened."

"Oh thank Heaven." Dolores said. "Are you sure you're alright? Those robbers didn't hurt you did they?"

"Robbers?"

"Yes the ones that attacked me and scared you into running away." Desdemona said. "Remember?"

Desdemona's look was a glare to intimidate the girl but she didn't have to do that. For the sake of her father, stepsister, and new caretaker, Charlotte would act oblivious to what the hateful woman was really like.

"No the robbers didn't hurt me."

"In that case we're very lucky that no real damage was done." Dolores said.

"No real damage done?!" Desdemona scoffed.

"Mother! Look at my face! My beautiful has been tarnished!"

"Now don't panic dear, it's only a scratch. Nothing my ointment can't fix, it most likely won't even scar."

"Mother do you have any idea how hard I work to maintain how I look? Do you still fail to realize how important it is for me to look my best?"

"Here's a mirror Mother." Vagatha came back into the kitchen with a hand mirror.

"Took you long enough!"

She snatched the small looking glass from her daughter and proceeded her usual routine of studying her reflection and attending to the features of her face.

"Do you think the king married me because I had an excellent dowry or because I was of noble birth? No he married me because I am the fairest in all the lands. That's the only reason any man marries a woman. For her beauty. That's all any woman is good for in this wretched world."

"You sound like your father." Dolores said. "I told you that man was poison and that you should forget everything he ever taught you."

"If he was so awful then why did you marry him in the first place?"

"Don't you dare play ignorant on that subject. You know very well why I married your bastard of a father and you also know that my consent to that marriage was not willing."

"What do you mean Granny?" Vagatha asked.

That's when Dolores was reminded that children were present and she did not want to discuss this matter in front of them. Not when they were still so very young.

"Girls I need to have a private conversation with my daughter. Would you please go outside and play?"

Charlotte and Vagatha quietly obeyed Dolores's request and went to play in the garden. This was nothing new to Vagatha. When her mother used to live with them, she and her grandmother would always get into arguments. Sometimes it would get some bad that Dolores would suggest that Vagatha play outside so she wouldn't hear them, but being deaf to the argument didn't make her ignorant to it.

"Are you alright Vagatha?" Charlotte asked noticing her melancholic expression.

"Why do they always have to fight?" She responded. "They've bickered with each other for as long as I can remember. It's almost as if it's impossible for them to get along."

"Don't be sad Vagatha. Families always argue. That's what my father says."

"But that's all Mother and Granny ever do. That's probably why Mother doesn't visit often." She looked up at the red rose bush. "Why can't Granny just stop upsetting Mother?"

"Why do you assume it's her fault?"

"She always starts the fights."

"But maybe sometimes she's right to argue. Not always but sometimes."

"It doesn't matter. Mother will never admit she's wrong and she'll never accept things that don't go her way. It's best to just do what she says and agree with her."

"Even if she's wrong?"

"She's the queen and my mother. How can she not be wrong?"

"Vagatha dear." Desdemona called in a loving tone as she stepped out of the cottage. "I'm afraid I have to leave now. A queen can only be absent from the castle for so long."

"I wish you didn't have to go." She said hugging her.

"I know darling but I have brought you some wonderful presents to ease your longing for me and to remind you that you're always in my thoughts."

"When will I be able to live with you again?"

"I can't say that it will soon but never forget, I'm only leaving you here to keep you safe."

"I know. I love you Mother."

"And I love you."

She returned Vagatha's hug and kissed her forehead, a smile on her face the whole time her child was looking at her. But once Vagatha's back was turned she threw Charlotte a hate-filled gaze that made the girl shiver. It was obvious she despised the little princess, but Charlotte wondered why? What did she ever do to invoke her stepmother's contempt for her?