28. i know what you did last summer

Start from the beginning

I stared at him with bizzare eyes as he put the car in the parking gear and shut off the engine.

I clutched Kartik's hand tighter while reaching for the door handle with my other hand.

"Why did you stop the car?" Kartik asked naturally, glancing between me and the driver.

"We've reached the destination, sir." The driver replied, without so much as deeming us a look. I could see his eyes trained in the stearing wheel from the rear view mirror.

Kartik looked around. "Really? This just looks like a deserted neighbourhood."

"Well, that's what the location in the app says." The driver replied, not looking at us again.

"Alright." Kartik said dubiously, narrowing his eyes at the driver before reaching for his wallet.

I breathed heavily as I waited for Kartik to pay him and get the fuck out of the car with me. Once he was done, I took no time in pulling the door handle open and leaping out. Almost pulling Kartik out of the car, I moved back further as if the car had some sort of a bomb that could go off any moment now.

Kartik stood confused as we watched the car back out and drive off the way we came. Once it was out of eyeshot, I finally felt like I could breathe.

"Okay, what the fuck was that?" Was Kartik's first question, obviously.

I kept breathing in and out, trying to compose myself and process what had just happened.

"It's not-"

"No. Don't you dare tell me it's nothing, because I've been noticing the change in your behaviour for a while now and I know something's bothering you. So spit it out." He interjected, giving me a warning look.

"Kartik." I tilt my head slightly.

"Siya." He crossed his arms in front of me like a dad.

I sighed, looking away. "It's nothing. It's just.... I've been seeing this guy everywhere since we came back to Delmore."

"What guy?"

"Remember during our first night in town, I told you that I saw a mysterious figure in the shadows but then it disappeared?"

"Yes, I remember." He said after pondering for a moment. "But then, we dismissed it thinking it was nothing."

"Yes. Well, I saw that guy once again. At the paper lantern,.....he was clicking pictures of us from afar." I confessed.

"What?" His eyes widened.

I nodded. "Initially, I thought it was just because people in this town knew who we were. Even though it creeped me the fuck out."

"But then, today...."

It took him a moment before he realised. "Don't tell me...."

I nodded. "The driver. It was the same guy."

His jaw clenched in it's place as he breathed heavily.

"Why didn't you tell me about it?"

"Because I didn't wanna worry you. You were obviously too wrapped up and stressed out about this entire fiasco. I couldn't impose another thing on you." I empathized.

He sighed, a worried look etched on his face. "Siya, I understand you're worried about me. But we're all in this together. So if something's troubling you, you need to tell me. How else am I supposed to protect you?"

"I don't need you to protect me." I gave him a tight lipped smile. "I need you to stay safe."

"Same goes for you too." He said, cupping my face with his hands and rubbing his thumb against the crevice of my jawline. "We're in this together, you and me. Till infinity and beyond. Remember?"