Chapter 38

Elle's POV
Despite the Chief's wishes, Tobias demanded that we head into work today. He was tired of being cooped up in the house all day and was feeling as though he may lose his mind if he didn't go somewhere other than the store, park, and book store.

News had spread pretty quickly around work that I was seeing two men at the same time-one them being the boss.

I felt several pairs of eyes burning judgemental holes into the back of my head as I followed Tobias and Kieran. The button to the elevator was pressed and I was forced to endure all those beady eyes for longer than I wanted to.

"Hey, you okay?" Kieran asked, nudging me softly with his arm.

I looked up into his tinted sun shades and shook my head. "Everyone's staring at me." I bit my lip, wanting to shrink down into a tiny bug and disappear.

Although I often enjoy the spotlight, this wasn't the kind of attention I wanted for myself. I felt like a pariah all over again.

"Elle." I flinched hard, blinking at Kieran who was still staring at me. His hardened gaze softened, a longing smile on his face. "You didn't hear anything I said, did you?"

"No."

He shook his head and gently pushed me into the elevator. "Come on, love."

"Don't worry about them," Tobias said, looking straight ahead. "Their opinion on our relationship will never matter."

He clutched his computer bag in one hand and interlaced our fingers with the other. I stared down at his hand, watching him caress small circles into my knuckles.

After last night, we'd spent some time cuddling in my bedroom before I woke up alone.

There was no conversation about what occurred last night, because there was nothing that had to be said. We fucked. Simple as that.

And it was great. The slight soreness between my legs and the tightness of my jaw is a reminder of how hard Tobias had fucked me.

Listening to the classical music blaring through the speakers above, I slowly bobbed my head while rubbing my sore throat. Tobias left faint bruises on my neck that had to be covered up by a turtle neck in the middle of summer.

Kieran questioned it as soon as he saw me this morning and I had no choice but to tell him. It's not like I was trying to hide what happened. I mean Tobias literally fucked me against Kieran's bedroom door. But if he had questions, then I was bound to receive them from some of Tobias' employees.

Tobias hadn't even choked me that hard, but because I bruise so easily, it probably looked like he'd tried to strangle me to death.

I coughed.

Tobias' blue eyes flickered to me.

"It's your fault," I muttered.

He grinned. "I know."

Kieran huffed, still bitter that he had been too wasted to join us. "You two just couldn't wait, could you?"

"Stop being such a fucking hater," Tobias snarled."It wasn't your birthday last night."

Kieran flipped him off.

"Okay, cut it out you two." We still had twenty more floors to go and these two were bickering like overgrown babies.

When we finally reached the top floor, the elevator rang and the silver doors slid open.

Kieran was the first to step off the elevator. I was about to follow him when Tobias grabbed my wrist, stopping me in my tracks.