Chapter 37

Tobias' POV
I hate celebrating my birthday. I always have. But tonight, I was willing to do so if it made Elle happy.

After Kieran tore into me physically and verbally for making our girl cry, I realized pretty quickly that I'd made a mistake.

I shouldn't have yelled at her. And the throbbing bruise on my cheek will forever be a reminder not to piss Kieran off.

I poured myself and the Chief a glass of bourbon. He and I have had a lot of time to catch up this past week or so. When he's not working on the investigation pertaining to my company's building being set on fire, of course.

"You and Kieran have grown into such fine young men. I'm proud of you both."

"Thank you, Chief."

We let silence linger between us for a moment, watching everyone else mingle with one another.

My gaze drifted to Elle. She was dancing with Kieran to some slow song playing through the Amazon Echo that Mrs. Wilson gifted me.

He spun her around in a circle before pulling her back into his arms, a chuckle escaping the both of them.

Kieran was the happiest he's ever been. And I'm sure he's probably noticed the same about me.

Despite how irritating Elle can be, I can't even a picture not having her and her sisters in my life anymore. And as much as I've tried to deny it, the Fuller sisters have found a way to warm my cold heart.

Elle tossed her head back, an adorable snort erupting from her as she laughed at whatever Kieran had said.

The Chief must have noticed that I was watching them, because he asked, "What's your relationship with the Fuller girl?"

"I don't think that's any of your business," I replied dryly, before taking another sip of my bourbon.

"I like Elle, but how do you know she's not the one who set your building on fire?"

My head whipped in his direction. "Are you fucking kidding me?" I spat out in anger, pissed that he'd even dare accuse her of such a thing. If I didn't have so much respect for him, I'd smash this glass over his head.

"I don't believe she'd do something like that, but my beliefs don't matter. Besides, what makes you so sure she didn't do it?"

I shook my head, still looking at Elle. I couldn't take my eyes off her. Between that adorable laugh of hers and that sexy ass dress she was wearing, I wasn't sure which one turned me on more.

I caught myself when I felt a smile threatening to form, and forcibly tore my gaze from hers.

"She doesn't know about the partnership between me and her parents."

He set his empty glass down on the Island, Margaret quick to offer him a refill. He smiled and shook his head, wanting to be sober enough to hear what I was about to say.

"What do you mean she doesn't know? She was there when her parents introduced you to her."

"Yes, but she doesn't seem to remember me."

"How is that possible?"

I shrugged, still trying to figure that out myself. "My original plan had been to make her life a living hell for the shit her parents did to me and my company, but..." I looked back at her.

"You like her," the Chief finished.

"I do," I admitted.

I feel extremely protective over her as does Kieran. She's also become the thorn in my side I never want to remove. And then there are her sisters. Olivia is super intelligent and Sadie is like a tiny version of Elle.