Chapter 1

Elle's POV
"Is there nothing you can do?"

My manager shook his head, watching me with sad eyes as I handed him my grocery store name tag and took my leave.

Walking out into the cool night air, I paused when I felt the heavy downpour of rain falling from the sky.

Rain always had perfect timing. Especially when you're having a shitty day. Sighing heavily, I quickly made my way down the street and took shelter at the bus stop.

Realizing I'd forgotten my phone, I ran back down the street and went back into the store to retrieve my phone.

Once it was back in my grasp, I shivered my way back down to the bus stop. As I was nearing the stop, I spotted the large city bus just as it sped down the road, splashing me with a heap of cold water in the process.

"No! Wait!"

I don't know why I thought I could chase down an entire bus, but I sure tried.

After a couple steps, I grew tired and gave up. The bus was long gone now, and unless I had the ability of a speedster there was no way I was going to catch that bus.

"Damn it!" Tonight was not my night. I was just let go due to budgets cuts and now I have no way to provide for my little sisters.

We are currently living in a tiny, run down apartment, which is far too expensive for such an old, crappy living space.

It's hardly livable. It's more like a crack house than anything. But it's all I can afford. Well, not anymore since I just lost my job. So now I can't even afford to live in the crack house.

How pathetic.

I wish I could provide my sisters with more. I wish I could give them the lavish life we had growing up before our parents died in a tragic plane crash years ago. We still could have been living lavishly if our parents hadn't become criminals.

For years our life has been a lie. I always looked up to my parents, admiring the hard work they put into running the company they own. It wasn't until I learned they've been embezzling money in order to keep up their rich lifestyle and reputation that my feelings toward them changed.

I don't hate my parents. In fact, I love them with my whole heart, but I will never see them the same again. And of course, I do feel a little hostility towards them as they're the reason me and my sisters are just barely getting by.

The police repossessed everything. We don't even have pictures of our family, or trust fund money because they took that too. Just like that, everything we had ever known was gone. Our parents. Our life. Our reputations. All of it- gone.

I could've gone to college to achieve my dream of owning my own bakery, but I don't have the money for it. And besides, there wouldn't be anyone to take care of my sisters if I'm gone. 

Dialing my sister Olivia, she picked up shortly after the first ring. "Please tell me you're on your way home with something to eat?"

"No, sorry. I just missed the bus and have no way to get home."

"Seriously?" Olivia whined. "Sadie and I are hungry, Elle."

"There should be some leftover Spaghetti from last night still in the fridge."

"There isn't anymore. We ate that for breakfast and lunch, remember?"

"Okay well, I may have some crackers in my nightstand. Just eat those until I get home."

"Okay."

Ending my call with Olivia, I took the short trip back down to the grocery store. I couldn't afford an Uber or Lift to get home, and I just missed the bus. So I'm hoping that one of my former co-workers would be kind enough to give me a ride home.