Chapter 97: Promise.

:) Interesting chapter. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------

After getting dressed, I reluctantly followed Emory downstairs, Feeling like one loud sound will send me spiraling.

He's still mad. . .He's going to tell me he's disappointed in me again. . .

''Sit down'' He murmured quietly to me, Gesturing towards the couch as he spoke.

Cautiously, I made my way over and sat down, Watching wearily as Emory headed into the kitchen.

I faintly heard him doing something in the kitchen before he emerged and returned to me, Two plates of something held in his hands.

''Here, Eat'' He murmured, Handing me the plate with the largest  slice of cheesecake on it.

It looked quite tasty, Had a chocolate crust and what looked like a strawberry sauce on top of it.

But my stomach was twisting too much with worry to even consider taking a bite of it.

I've ruined something didn't I?

Emory reached out and gently held onto my hand closest to him, Giving it a seemingly reassuring squeeze.

''Aspen, What happened?'' He questioned quietly, His hand drifting a bit higher to gently brush over one of the scabs on my arm.

I shrugged slightly, Training my eyes on the floor as I did so.

''You did not seem happy at the end of our call, What was the matter?'' Emory gently pressed, His hand trailing up my arm as he spoke.

I shivered slightly at his gentle touch before trying to shrug again.

His hand had moved up to my shoulder now, Giving me a firm squeeze, A wordless warning that he wasn't going to accept a shrug as an answer.

''You- I-. . .I was just worried. . .I- I hadn't heard anything from you all day. . .I- I was worried you were hurt or something. . .'' I explained shakily, Earning a quiet sigh from the man sitting next to me.

''I am sorry to have worried you, I should have checked up on you during the. . .Less chaotic moments'' He murmured, Sounding genuinely apologetic.

I was briefly hopeful that that'd be enough and we could just forget all that's happened.

But unfortunately, Emory continued.

''However, You seemed much more distressed after hearing Channing's voice. . .'' He pointed out quietly.

I just stared intently at the floor.

Noticing I wasn't going to speak, Emory reached out and gently took the still full plate from my hands before placing it on the coffee table.

Next thing I knew, He was gently pulling me onto his lap, His body warm as his arms wrapped around me in a loose hug.

If I wanted to, I could very easily get away. . .

''Aspen'' He murmured quietly next to my ear, Wanting me to explain.

I curled in on myself slightly, Opting to stare at his hands to keep from having to look him in the eye.

''W-What. . .What do you want me to say?'' I asked quietly, Timidly.

If he tells me what he wants to hear then I can say it and we can all move on. . .

''I want you to tell me what happened, Did hearing his voice trigger some PTSD? Or did something else happen and all of this was just the final straw?'' He questioned, Keeping his voice level and calm throughout everything, His hands moving to gently rub at my arms again in a clear attempt to sooth me.