Chapter 34:

Things go. . .Well, You'll see

--------------------------------------------------------------

The soft sound a heart beat was the first thing I noticed as I slowly woke up.

For a moment, I stupidly worried that maybe that was the sound of my own heart beat.

Slowly, I noticed a somewhat heavy arm slung over my side, Holding me close to a warm strong body.

I could feel my heart still briefly as for a moment I forgot where I was.

Remembering didn't make it any better.

I could feel the panic settling down, Replaced instead with nervousness.

 I did my best to hold as still as a statue in his arms, Not wanting to wake him, Causing me to try and still even my own breathing.

Despite my best efforts to not so much as breath too much, Emory started to stir.

I gasped quietly as he buried his face in the back of my neck, Causing tingles to spread out from that point and through my body.

Just as the simple contact started to become un-bearable, Emory moved away, Slowly propping himself up on an elbow.

I stared up at him with wide eyes as his sleep hazed ones stared back at me.

''Good morning Aspen'' Emory whispered quietly, His accent a lot stronger this morning.

''M-Morning'' I squeaked out, My voice wavering more than I had expected it too.

Emory glanced down at how we were cuddling on the couch, His eyebrows raised slightly before he removed his arm from my side.

''Go get dressed for the day, I will go make some breakfast for us'' He mumbled out as he got up from the couch, Careful to not disturb me.

I waited until he had disappeared into the kitchen before I let out a shaky sigh, My heart hammering as I released the breath I hadn't noticed I had been holding.

My hands shook slightly as I ran my fingers through my hair.

The slight sting as I tugged at my hair helped a bit to clear the confusing bundle of emotions knotting themselves in my chest.

The main emotions I could feel warring inside me was a sense of safety and a sense of fear.

Shaking my head slightly, I hurried up the stairs as quietly as I could, Heading for the room with the single bed in it.

He's. . .Confusing. . . Normally adults can be neatly placed in little groups, Adults that want to hurt me, Adults they don't care, Adults that don't notice and Adults who don't consider it their problem to fix. . .

 Tugging off my shirt and changing it out for a hoodie, I stared forwards numbly, Trying to find which little group Emory would fit in. . .

He notices when I'm sad . . .And when I'm feeling numb. . .He hasn't hurt me. . .Yet

Sighing, I finished changing my clothes, Still unsure where to place Emory.

Before I actually could think further into it, There was a knock on the door.

''Aspen, Break-fast is ready'' Emory informed me quietly through the door, His accent seemingly having settled down.

Inhaling slowly, I squeaked out a quiet, 'Okay' before timidly opening the door.

Emory took a step back, His eyes briefly traveling up and down my body, Checking.

I could feel my face start to flush before Emory gently rested his hand on my head in a little head pat.

''Let us go eat, You do not want to go to school hungry'' Emory muttered, Guiding me downstairs with a hand gently resting on my shoulders.

I could feel my body tensing warily, But I didn't do anything to remove his hand.

It's okay. . .I. . .Don't think he's going to hurt me. . .

--- Time skip ---

The school building loomed above us, It's windows glinting with the sunlight like the fangs of a viper before it strikes.

I felt small and frightened at the knowledge of what awaited me inside.

Before I could consider my options on retreating and just hiding in a forest again, A warm gloved hand at the small of my back drew my startled attention up to Emory.

He stared down at me silently before nodding towards the school, ''I will walk you in'' He muttered quietly, His hand moving up to rest on my shoulder blades.

I nodded nervously, My arms moving to wrap around my stomach in a small little self hug of sorts.

I shrunk closer to Emory's side as we entered the building, Deeming him the safest thing in here.

I could hear some of the gossipers in this school start whispering as soon as Emory and I set foot inside the building.

One would think they'd have gotten it out of their systems yesterday. . .

Still, I moved closer to Emory.

If he minded, He didn't say anything, Instead, He moved so his arm was wrapped around my shoulders, Holding me close.

I honestly felt a little safer.

Only a little.

Soon enough, We made it through the halls of hell and to the classroom.

I could feel my nerves starting to knot in my chest again as I stood in front of the simple classroom door.

''I have you, Do not worry'' Emory muttered quietly to me, Opening the door a moment after he spoke to me.

I swallowed nervously as Daniel looked up from the papers on his desk, Surprise briefly on his face before a smile took it's place.

''Well goood morning Aspen! And who's this? Your older brother?'' Daniel asked cheerfully.

I could feel Emory's arm tighten a bit around my shoulders.

''I am here to drop Aspen off for his classes.'' Emory stated simply, Ignoring the cheerful man's incorrect assumption.

Smiling happily, Daniel moved to usher me into the classroom.

''Of course, Of course, Well, Thank you so much for dropping him off here! I'm sure you didn't want to take your little brother to school'' Daniel said cheerfully, Going way too far.

Emory glared at that as I sunk further into myself, Trying to make myself smaller.

Oddly enough, The one to break this awkward situation was Channing.

''For fucks sake, They're not related, German dude is just taking pity on Aspen and screwing him'' Channing spat out, Grabbing everyone's attention to the back of the classroom where he was sitting.

''Language!'' Daniel scolded as I moved back to Emory's side, Pressing closer to him as my heart started to beat quickly in fear.

Why didn't I notice him sitting back there. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh boy, Something interesting is going to happen next chapter, I'm sure you all can guess what

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen