Chapter 58: Concerns

:) More fluff??

-------------------------------------------------------------

Once Emory and I were done with supper, He decided it was time for me to go to bed, Despite the fact the sun was still high up in the sky.

I protested briefly to that but in the end, I was fairly grateful to him for insisting I get some sleep.

When I woke up later in the afternoon, I was feeling a lot better.

I hadn't realized how bad I was feeling throughout the day until now, Now that the shitty feelings and stress was gone, I could clearly see how miserable I was.

Hesitantly, I climbed out of the soft and warm bed, Making my way down the stairs.

My body felt pleasantly light, Like I was floating.

I was expecting to find Emory either resting or cooking or doing who knows what else when I finally made it downstairs.

But he was no where to be found.

On a whim, I looked out one of the front windows.

Emory's car was gone.

I closed the curtains again before heading back to the couch, Feeling un-easy.

The house was large, And being alone in here, It just seemed even larger.

Sitting down on the couch, I tried to dispel the growing feeling of un-ease.

Deep down, I knew why I felt this way.

Whenever I was alone, That would be when my dad would find me and well. . .Things never ended well when he would find me.

The logical part of my mind knew how paranoid I was acting, Knew that I was alone here and I was safe.

But the part of me that was always terrified when dad would take his anger out on me was sure that he'd somehow find a way to hurt me now that I was alone.

I pulled my legs up to my chest, Wrapping my arms around my legs as I buried my face in my arms, Hiding from the world as I slowly tuned my surroundings out.

Time passed by in a blur, My mind empty as I kept as still and as quiet as I could.

Eventually, When the sun was a lot lower in the sky, The front door unlocked and opened.

I looked up just in time to see Emory walk in, His eyes landing on me as soon as he passed the doorway.

He looked me up and down before slowly taking off his jacket and approaching me.

''Aspen, Are you hurt?'' Emory questioned quietly as he slowly sat down beside me, Reaching out to rest his hand gently on top of my head.

I shook my head slightly, Slowly un-curling as I did so.

He seemed to calm down a bit at that, His hand moving down from my head to rub gently at my shoulder.

He didn't question me further though, Instead, He gently tugged me closer until I was hesitantly leaning against him, My head resting on his shoulder.

I felt a bit safer, Held in his arms.

''Did you have a bad dream?'' He questioned, Seemingly bound and determined to figure out what had me distressed.

I shook my head, Not saying a word as I started to feel guilty.

He was concerned and it made me feel bad knowing I was the reason he was concerned, I didn't want to make him concerned. . .

''I-I'm fine'' I whispered quietly, Curled up against him as he continued to gently rub at my shoulder.

''You seem distressed'' He commented, Gently grabbing my face with his other hand, Turning my head so I was looking at him.

I shrugged nervously, Glancing away from from him.

''Why?'' Was all he asked, His voice low and cautious, As if he was speaking to a small frightened animal or a little kid.

I Shrugged again before changing the topic.

''Where. . .Where did you go?'' I questioned quietly, Stumbling over my words slightly as my mind briefly hesitated over whether or not a question like that would make him upset with me.

Thankfully though, He answered my question instantly and without pause.

''I was called back down to the station to deal with an issue'' He said simply, Not elaborating.

Not wanting to upset him, I didn't press any further.

We both fell silent after a moment, One of his hands moving to gently rest on my head, The hand that had turned my head so I was forced to look at him had moved down to rest lightly on my neck, Making me shiver at the tingles that raced up and down my body from the point of contact.

I continued to shiver as he kept his hand on my neck.

Trembling slightly, I reached up, Moving his hand off of my neck, Nervously lacing our fingers together instead.

He's not wearing his gloves around me anymore?

I glanced down at his hand, My fingers tracing over the raised scars that covered his hands.

What happened to cause these?

Emory tolerated me lightly running my fingers over his scars for a short while before he let out an uncomfortable sounding grunt, slowly tugging his hand out of my grip.

I froze, Worried that I had made him self conscious.

After a while of tense silence, He sighed, Moving to rest his face against my head.

I felt my heart skip a few beats when he placed a gently kiss to the top of my head before speaking finally.

''The sun is setting, It is best we get to bed Setzling'' Emory muttered, Gently nudging me up off of the couch.

I followed behind Emory, Not bothering to tell him I wasn't tired anymore.

Instead, I kept quiet as we both headed upstairs.

We snuggled into bed together, Emory's arms wrapping loosely around my waist as I curled up next to him.

My heart stuttered in surprise at the un-expected contact as Emory held me close to his chest.

After a moment of staring out into the slightly darkened bedroom, I slowly calmed down, Snuggling back against the man behind me.

 I heard him let out a relaxed sounding sigh, Resting his face against my head.

''I'm. . .Sorry I was upset'' I whispered quietly into the darkness of the room, Feeling a lot more confident now that I was unable to see.

Emory remained quiet behind me, But I could tell he was listening, Mostly because his body tensed up slightly.

I inhaled before continuing.

''I just. . .Don't feel safe alone'' I whispered quietly, A bit nervous that he'd make fun of me over that.

The room was quiet for a long time before Emory slowly sat up and turned back on the light in the bedroom.

Oh. . .We're. . . going to talk about this. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Slightly late chapter. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen